posterior?

ok so i just had a check up.. 38 weeks.. the dr said that i am almost 2 cm, and 30% thinned. I could have sworn she said that she is posterior, too. She didnt really talk about it, but more so said it as she was writing down. She's really good with explaining important things, so idk what that would mean. I looked it up online a bit..but i guess i was looking for some of your experiences? Im a first timer, and i am nervous.. especially now that i have confirmation that things are moving along a little bit.

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A posterior baby is one who is lying so that their spine is on your spine. Also referred to as sunny side up because when they are born, you can look at their face before they are even entirely out! Posterior is not an optimal position. Their head doesn't engage the cervix well and the contractions aren't as effective. It can cause a long labor. My 1st was posterior though I had no clue honestly until my SECOND was born that there was anything different. My labor was 28 hours. Check out www.spinningbabies.com. You still have a time for the baby to to rotate.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• wouldnt that mean butt first? i dont really know sorry couldnt be of more help
    Anonymous

• I think it means that shes sitting more to the front. But im not to sure.
    Anonymous

• oh good lord I hope your baby rotates:( Posterior means that your baby will be born looking up so when you are birting her, her back with be to your back and it will most likely be alot harder to push her out. Have you ever heard of anybody talk about "Back labor"? Back labor typically only happens when a baby is sunny-side up (Posterior) It shouldnt make anything harder on your baby, you will just have to do more work to get her here. Were you planning on an epidural?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• ha ha, I didnt even check who posted the question before I answered it:) You are one of the ladies who asks questions on here worth asking:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yes i was planning on an epidural.. which im assuming is going to help alot if she doesnt turn around. im hoping that i just heard her wrong, because I would think that she would have told me about it in depth if that were the case, hopefully. lol. I have heard of back labor, but I didn't really pay much attention to what it really was.. i guess i'll be reading alot on that now!

itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 4:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Since Makenna has time to rotate (you arent in labor and she isnt engaged in your pelvic area) then there wouldnt have been a reason for your doc to scare you! I just tell it like it is on here without sugar coating anything!! I know its kinda mean but I figure if people dont want the blunt truth then they shouldnt ask questions lol
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Spend extra time in hands and knees position...do it while watching TV. I would lean on my exercise ball and just rock back and forth, it was great for opening my pelvis and getting the LO to rotate to the right position. Good Luck!
    Tiffatoe

Answer by Tiffatoe at 5:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I am glad you tell it like it is! I'd rather know the truth about things, then find them out last minute and freak out. LOL. she also said that Makenna's head is low.. a 2? I know what that means is in my book, i just haven't looked it up yet.

I am also going to try the hands and knees thing a couple times just incase. I am worried about rocking her out of her position.. LOL that is probably ridiculous, but i worry about everything
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 5:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It would either be a +2 or a -2... its really the + or - that means anything! If she said "low" then it was probably just a -2 and it means that her head is engaged but not all the way in there yet. If you were a +2 at 38 weeks she would have said she was "very low" or acted surprised because although it is possible (my Makenna was +2 at 37 weeks) its unlikely.

As for being afraid to rock her out of position... you WANT to rock her out of that position! Your chance of flipping her breech is like almost none, so do whatever you can to encourage her to rotate her body!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009