Another c-section question!

I had a c-section 9 days ago and I am still having a little bit of drainage from my incision, it's yellowish/clear and it just seems to leak out a drip every hour or so...is that to be expected at this point??? THANKS!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've had 2 c-sections with my first i had drainage for about a week afterwards and was told it was fine b/c it was clear. with my second i was told i shouldn't have any drainage. w/both though i was told to call my doctor w/any drainage so they can make sure its not infected. so you should give them a call and see if they can take a look at it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Call your doctor.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would call your Doctor, I have had 3 CSections, and never any drainage. It could be normal, but you want to let her know. Didn't you have a 1 week check up? That is when they usually remove the staples, at least at my hospital any way.
    I did have a little drainage this time, but nothing like you are talking about...I would call.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No, I have stiches that will dissolve and have a check up at 2 weeks...i guess i better call them!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I had a c-section 9 months ago and still occassionally have a little drainage - I haven't asked them about it in a while, but at 6 months they told me that as long as it wasn't bloody, excessive, or puss-filled, it was ok.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yeah, you should call. I've had 3 Csections, all with the disolvable stitches, and never had any drainage.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• it may be nothing but you should call your dr just for then to know i has the same drainage and everything but my was left open so it could heal from the inside out
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:26 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had a c-sec nine weeks ago.. Mine drained for two weeks. Just clean it with peroxide and let it air dry and you should be ok... GL
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had a c-section 12 weeks ago. I got some drainage, it was blood and ended up having a horrible infection. I didn't feel any pain other than the drainage. I was hospitalized for 3 days and would have ended up in the ICU if I had waited longer. Call your doc. or go to the Er. You can never be too safe with this.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• **OP**
    Before I close this question I thought I'd post what the outcome of this was! I went to see my doctor and he told me that I had a blood clot just under the skin of my incision (I can't remember the medical term he used for it) He said that it needed to come out. So he basically pushed on my belly all around my incision, kind of like popping a zit - sorry i know it's gross! - and expelled some discharge from my incision. He wrote me a script for antibiotics and told me to let the incision be exposed to air as much as possible or use sterile gauze if I needed to cover it and to put neosporin on it 3-4 times per day. So I am feeling pretty sore tonight from all his pressing on my belly and messing with my incision, but he also gave me a few more pain pills so that is helping. Bottom line - I would encourage anyone who feels like something isn't right to call your doctor - don't ignore it or it might get worse!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2009