Need Ideas for healthier food..

My son loves pasta and any carbs. How can I make it more healthy to give to him? I try giving him other foods first and he won't eat it unless its fruit. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try puting vegetables in the pasta. Maybe blend it up if you wont eat them. You can try the Chef Boyardee Vegetable stuffed ravioli if he likes them. Or make him fruit/vegetable smoothies etc. Hope this helps a little.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 5:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• For a healthier pasta alternative, try whole wheat pasta. My 2 year old loves whole wheat rigatoni. He usually eats it with butter and parmesan (with a side of cherry tomatoes). I also make him one of the pasta sauces that I found in The Toddler Cafe cookbook. One is a puree of peas, milk, butter, and parmesan (sort of like an alfredo sauce but with peas). The other is a mixture of lemon juice, parmesan, and olive oil. Another good carb to try is baked sweet potatoes.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 5:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Funny, my 15 month old hates pasta. Yes, try whole wheat pasta instead but definately add sauce or cheese because it has a slightly different taste. Also, I always give my baby 100% whole wheat bread or multi grain whatever it may be. White flour has no nutritional value. Also, my baby's doc said, don't let the child be in control of what they eat, only how much they eat. Soooo, if he doesn't like what you give him, don't fuss or say anything, just take him out of his chair, let him play and try again later with the same food. Her doc said, don't worry, she will not starve. After a few times, they will eat what you give them. It may take a while and I know it sounds hard because you think you are depriving your child of food but your not. You're just trying to correct a bad habit that he ahs gotten into. Try oatmeal, scrambled eggs, melt cheese on veggies, steamed carrots with a little butter and brown sugar...
    averys1mama

Answer by averys1mama at 10:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Does he like marinara sauce or a cream sauce?I hid small diced up vegetables in mine,but you can puree them and he wont know the difference.Just add some cooked ground turkey meat or hamburger in w/ it. They also make healthy pasta now.W/ vitamins in it and protein.They make them w/ whole wheat too.You could also give him a backed sweet potato,w/ a little cinnamon,a little nutmeg,a pinch of brownsugar,and a small pad of butter.Add some other veggies in there.It teats so good and it's good for him too.I hidstuff in my mashed potatoes too.There's also the joy of melted cheese.It hides almost everything.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009