Why are my daughter's toenails flaky?

My daughter's big toe nails are flaky and brittle. They have been since she was born. All of her other toe nails and her finger nails are normal. But the big toe nail on each foot is very flaky and brittle....I have never cut them because as soon as they get long enough that I could, they just just break off on their own.

My grandmother told me it means she has some kind of nutritional deficency but if she did, wouldn't it be affecting all of her nails? Or at least all her toe nails?

Anybody else have a little one with the same problem?

MrsAce150

Asked by MrsAce150 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's toes are like that...just his big toes, and have been since birth. Once they grew in and I could cut them it wasn't as bad but the tips are still really brittle. I just keep them cut as low as I can.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009