How do YOU keep your patience?

Patience is one of the most important things we mothers learn. My 3 year old daughter tests me about everything all the time and it's still too hard to keep my patience so it turns into a fight instead of a productive learning experience. How did you get control over your anger and frustration? How do you keep it together when your child just won't quit?

kira_5105

Asked by kira_5105 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• honestly i go outside and smoke (i'm a smoker no bashing please i know its bad), call a girlfriend and vent (we end up talking two or three times a day b/c she calls when her boys drive her nuts 2 & 4). and if that doesn't work i send my daughter to her room to play and have quiet time. she'll end up staying up there for about an hour before she even asks if she can come down again. normally by then i've calmed down enough so that i can deal with whatever shes gonna throw at me next.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I ask mine to PLEASE leave me alone for a while first. If and when that doesn't work, as it usually doesn't, I tell them to go do something else. I will give them ideas like go play your DS, paint a picture, watch a show, pick up your room, etc. and I let them know we'll talk after we've both calmed down a bit. They usually come back at me ten fold, but at least I've had time to catch my breath and calm my nerves enough to deal with some patience next time.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I tell my kids to stop. I remind them that I am their mother and they may not talk to me that way. We are working on talking to eachother more productively. I am firm in that my kids ABSOULTELY do not get their way if they throw a fit, argue or whine.
    While you're learing to control yourself take advantage of it and teach your dd how to handle her anger too. My ds is 5 and we're been working on it for a few years now and dh finally noticed how it's helped. I've calmed a lot and so has he.
    My dd (3) whines over everything. I now challenge her to whine. She dosen't get her way and starts to whine, I tell her to keep whinning. Or if it's a situation I know she'll whine about I'll beat her to the punch and tell her to whine. She dosen't appreciate that I tell her to because she knows it won't work.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Theres a book called 1,2,3 Magic it helped me a whole lot my son has ADHD and it has help both of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2009