• In the Spotlight:

What is your opinion....

Do you think that when people reach a certain age they should have to re-take the driver's exam? Like when a person reaches the age of 65 (or whatever age you think is appropriate) they should have to go through the whole works that a 16 year old goes through? A few weeks back, a girl I went to school with lost her 5 year old son. He was ran over in the parking lot by a 77 year old man. The man went to pull into a parking space, and hit the gas instead of the brake. He pinned the little boy b/w his car and the building. Today my mom and I took the kiddos to the park. There was an elderly man there and he pulled into a parking space and hit a car that was parked there. What if there had been a child standing there?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, as much as I hate to say it. I have alot of respect for the elderly but they lose alot of their driving abilities as they age. I had an older lady almost run me off the road because she merged and didnt look. I had to slam on brakes to keep her from hitting me. I think many times it has to do with independence. They feel if they arent able to drive they lose all independence. I really feel for them, but I do worry about the safety of others as well.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have said this a million times to my friends and family! I don't think only old people should have to retake driver tests...I think EVERYONE should have to retake the test every 5 years, or every time their license needs to be renewed. I see people ALL THE TIME and wonder how in the hell someone gave them a driver's license. Yepp I completely agree.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i don't think retaking the test is going to do any good for the elderly and driving problems. i think that they should have to come in yearly to renew their license and while there do an eye exam. as far as the accidental hitting of cars, hitting the brakes/gas, stuff like that, i feel thats partly the responsibility of the family. if you know that someone in your family shouldn't be driving, you should make every effort to make sure they don't drive and possibly speak to their doctor about it if its that bad. if i felt my parents were getting too old to drive, i would make sure they had another means of transportation and find a way to get their license taken away, i'd rather deal with them being upset at me over that, than knowing i could have helped prevent someone getting hurt.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• There are tons of elderly people that shouldn't be allowed to drive, your response time is not he same. BUT at the same time I could say that about people of all ages. Some just should not drive.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes I do think that they should have to test after a certain age. Or even every few years. It's sad, emabarrasing, etc, but it poses a danger to others
    Anonymous

• Wow. I hate to say it, but I think very very old people should have to prove they are still capable of driving a motor vehicle. Not only that, but they should also do something to ensure that their minds are "all there" enough to handle it. Gah, I feel so mean. I love my grandparents! Truly I do. But you know how sometimes they can be talking to you and then get so easily distracted or lose it there for a minute! I don't know how you could avoid that. It's not alzheimers...it's just being old I guess. (And being a mom for that matter...) That is scary though. Taking away a human's rights for independence or keeping our kids on a tight leash where no old people shall go...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Thats awful. On the news in my state there was a lady who had backed up out of a parking spot and hit a toddler and then kept going!!!! She was in her thirties it seemed like. But they caught her and she is in jail awaiting her hearing. Another toddler was killed over the weekend by a hit and run driver. The little boy was running to his father in the street and the person was spending and kept on going. I think that people should retake exams. I have seen an senior citizen back up in the parking lot lefting the back of the car with kids in there and kept on going. The kids were not hurt more like in shock that this lady just did that..
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 5:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY>>>i say that all the time, once you reach a certain age you need to retake the driving test. but i do agree with a poster a few post above, maybe everyone should have to retake it...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. I think when you have to get a new lisence you should have to test agian. There are so many laws that change that most people dont even know about. But thats just how i feel. I know my mom is a crazy driver and i honestly think if she had to take the test agian she wouldnt pass it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think there should de restrictions on who should be able to drive at an older age. Such as Alzheimers, Dementia, and other things that effect the brain. I think by a certian age they should have to go to a doctor, and have a signed okay from the doctor saying they are stable enough to drive. This way not all people over 65 (just throwing out an age) would have to stop driving, because there are old people who are capable of driving just fine.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009