Weaning the Pacifier??

I never wanted my baby to us a pacifier, but once she started teething I felt bad so I would give it to her at night and now I can't get her to go to bed with out it. She is 18 months. How do I wean her from it. I don't want to just go cold turkey on her. Any thoughts?

Chelly1323

Asked by Chelly1323 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my twins we stopped using pacies other than at naps, bedtime, or in the car around 1 year (all other times they were hidden out of sight). Around 18 months we stopped using them for naps. Then, just this weekend at 21 months we stopped using them at night. We're going on 3 days without pacies now and I am wondering why I was so scared about this! I think the fact that we didn't rush it helped, and I also think the fact that they have been getting more excited about their bedtime story also helped. I had been dreading this for almost a year; I never dreamed it would be so easy. Good luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• By the time they are walking, they should be able to self-soothe and the paciifers should disappear.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I tried giving them to my 18 mo old for naps and bedtime only but she would find them or see then and stick them in. I just took them away from her (which was hard at first) and 3 days later she was fine! Her 2yr old friend has the pacy still and my daughter is CONSTANLY hiding it! LOL tried throwing it away, hiding it behind doors... my friend is dreading taking it away from her daughter
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Children have a sucking reflex until they are about 18 months old. So up until now, she needed it. And let me tell you its easier to take away the pacifier than it is to figure out how to stop the thumb sucking. If you are really ready to get rid of the pacifier completely start to replace it with a blanket or stuffed animal. Children need something that soothes them under different circumstances. Once they have started to attach to something else, I hate to say it... a friend of mine told us toI cut the nipple off the pacifier. It was the most painful thing we went through. We cut it off one night after she went to sleep. She was sad but we told her it was broken. We spent two nights with crying but she finally gave in. Then! She found one we lost a few months later. She immediately started using it but one day when we were potty training she sneezed as we flushed the toilet and it went down with everything else.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009