My sister and a friend of the family both heard that sleeping solely on your right side is bad for the placenta, is it true?

The friend is an LPN and my sister saw it on TV.

WzrdOfOz13

Asked by WzrdOfOz13 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The reason people say that its "bad" to sleep on your right side is because there is an artery in that area that can be pinched from the weight of the baby causing a slower blood flow and oxygen flow to the baby. Its not bad but its better to lay on your left side. It dosnt do any dammage if you lay on your right side thats the only side i can sleep on. I cant get to sleep any other way. Hy DH told me this and he is an RN that works in OB and in labor and delivery. So he kinda knows his shit when it comes to stuff like this.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• sleeping on the left side means more oxygen/blood to the placenta therefore more to baby. however sleeping on the right side is not harmful. towards the end of both my pregnancies i couldn't have slept on the left if i wanted to b/c my little ones decided thats the side they liked to be on the most so they would hang out there and being on the left put too much pressure pushed into my ribs. both my kids were born healthy
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have heard this before, but I don't see how it could be true because not everyone's placenta is in the same place.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 5:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009