What should he be eating?

My son is 5 months today. He is formula feed. How many jars of food should he be getting a day? Should I be introducing anything else into him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He should only be getting formula. Nothing else.
    Anonymous

• I would say 1 a day to start. If you see he does good then I would increase it to 2 a day and go from there. Start with Veggies too since they won't eat them if you give them fruits first. Also feed him then give him his bottle, he needs formula still and lots of it. I also started giving my daughter the little hard biscuts for her teeth and she loves them. It's a little messy though. You can give him cereal too if you'd like, which you don't HAVE too.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would wait 1 more month and definitely would avoid jar food. Just puree your own carrots and veggies, use organic ones. It will save you a lot of money and your baby will get the best nutrition. Here is a great link: www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    Good Luck
    Adelina09

Answer by Adelina09 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• They say its best to wait untill the child is 6 months old, but you could check with his Dr to see if he thinks he is ready. There are signs of being ready for solids. My Dr had me start my LO on spoon fed cereal at 4 1/2 months.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would not be feeding him multiple jars of baby food at five months. I would stick to just cereal until 6 months and then start with one jar for one meal. If you give too much at once then he will reduce his formula intake, which should be the main food source still. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• In a month (not right now) I would start by giving him mashed up avocado...the most important thing is to give him solids AFTER his bottle. He needs that for nutrition. The solids aer only for learning purposes, not for meal replacement. Give it to him for "dessert." He doens't need rice either, it's constipating.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• And it's a myth that they won't eat veggies if they have fruit first. They can eat them in any order you want to give them.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is going to be 5m old sunday she eats 2 stage 2 things of food a day. She does just fine she will open her mouth when the spoon is close to her mouth. I talked the the dr last month and told her i had started them and she said as long as she is doing fine with them go for it. What I did in the beginning was just give her stage 1 applesauce or bannas or carrots at dinner time. just to start then after about 3-4 weeks of doing that I gave her more. Talk to your dr to see if he/she think your baby is ready for solids.
    Anonymous

• Oh and you moms can bash me all you want for feeding her that.she does just fine and it does not lower her formula intake she eats at least 24-32oz a day. And she is not over weight.
    Anonymous