What happens during a CPS evaluation?

My mom has been starting horrible rumors about me. I want to set her straight. My husband and I are contemplating getting a voluntary CPS evaluation done. I was wondering...what happens during an evaluation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• honestly from what I've heard its somewhat of a long process. I wouldn't worry about what your mom says. you and your husband know whats right. If someone says something to you about the rumors. I would let that person know that there are two sides to every story and before passing judgement they should find out the whole story. I wouldn't call cps though. jmo.
    Anonymous

• I was a CPS investigator. A CPS investigation, as stated above, can be a very long process. Sometimes they get wrapped up in a week when they are obvious bogus calls (like we got one saying that the parents had lizards and snakes loose in the house and they had one pet lizard and one pet snake and they were both in cages), but most of the time even bogus calls have a lot of paper work that takes a lot of time.

If you call CPS on yourself in order to initiate an investigation, it will probably last a very long time. That will look very fishy to investigators. An investigation will include a walk through and evaluation of your home, an interview with you and your spouse, closed room interview with your children (something you should never unnecessarily put your children through), and interviews with your family (especially your mom), neighbors, child's teacher, and possibly even your coworkers.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• stay far far away from cps. they will lie and twist your words and are bad bad bad.
    Anonymous

• Not a great idea...
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 6:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i agree with the other ladies stay very very very very far away from cps.
    Anonymous

• Why would you want to initiate something if you know there isn't anything to the rumors? Let CPS do their job and protect the kids that need protecting. jmo
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• if you call there has to be VALID reasons for them to show up remember they have to pay these people, saying "my moms spreading rumors so i want you guys to set her straight" isnt going to cut it.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 9:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't even know if they would do one if you are calling on yourself
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Unless, you did something wrong, I wouldn't go through an investigation. Why would you put your children through that? Just stay away from your mother until she can behave. Tell her that until she stops spreading rumors about you, that she can't see you or your children. Your children need to come first. Also, CPS isn't as bad as people say...they have a VERY HARD job to do, one that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Go for it if you have nothing to hide. Here (yes I've had CPS called before, nothing came of it) we had to walk them through the house show them each childs bedroom. We had to show them our fridge (to make sure we had food). They asked ALOT of questions. If the kids are older (school age) they can and probably will talk to the kids alone.   Thats a garden variety visit so it being voluntary it may vary.  Good luck.

Anonymous