Has anyone ever done Mystery Shopping?

I get a lot of emails about this and have heard about people actually making money. Has anyone here ever personally done it? Have you made any money at it? Please give me details if you can, especially if you live in Colorado.

AngelDawn7

Asked by AngelDawn7 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wrote an article about this:

How to Start Your Own Mystery Shopping Business

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• While it is great to get the occasional free starbucks, unless you are doing several in the same location, you can't really make any money; essentially you get a free meal and $8-12 for about 90 of work, plus travel time.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I did it many years ago. Basically I got a free service in exchange for my mystery shop. There wasn't really a financial benefit other than the savings of having to pay for the service. As far as the emails, if they are spam I wouldn't recommend responding.
    Anonymous

• I have done it before. I spent more than I made lol.. now I stick to online work at home jobs. http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I get the emails too. My friend has done it, and she only made like $8 for eating at a restaurant and observing the waitress and how well she did her job. The meal cost more than that. lol
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you have to pay money for "start up fees" or a training packet or ANYTHING for that matter, do not apply to these companies. They are making money off women sending in their "fee". :)

No job should ever require you to pay them.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I love it, I still do it! My stuff is free plus I get paid for my customer service evaluation. This is how I got my job after being out of traditional work for 3 years( I was a SAHM).

Customer Service is what keeps cusomters coming back and profit coming in.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have been doing mystery shopping for years. I do it for the fun of it. It is a way to get out of the house and make money or free stuff. I guess you can look at it in different ways. Mystery Shopping as hobby or job.
    I think it is awesome to be able to go to the Melting Pot resturant and get for $70 free with my husband or friends.
    I think it is cool to get free sneakers. I think mystery shopping is great for todays world. Everyone is looking to make extra money for the holidays etc. Well, I just did a shop that gave me money to spend and got 4 people their Christmas Gifts. How can you beat that??? I also ate for free too. Can you make money in Mystery Shopping? I use to be able to but with gas prices and some companies don't pay as well anymore. Well, it all depends on what you think is good money. I don't loss money or I don't do the shop.
    VIVTWINS

Answer by VIVTWINS at 10:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2009