Was Jesus married to Mary Magdalene?

I was told that he was and I wanted to know where I could get more information on it. Does anyone believe this? If so why? What evidence is there that points to it? Or is it just a funny rumor?

I don't mind your opinions, but please include some facts or links too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. He was not! That is a made up lie,by a very desperate writer,to sell a few books,and get a movie deal. There is NOTHING in the Bible, ANYWHERE to indicate they were. Mary Magdalene was one of Jesus' most faithful followers. He cast several demons out of her. She is was there when He was crucified. And,it was her,and Jesus' mother Mary who went to the tomb on Easter,and found it empty. Mary Magdalene is the one who ran to get the Disciples and tell them what had happened. That is ALL it says,if there were more,it would be written in there.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It doesn't say anywhere in the bible that he was circumsized either, but I am pretty confident he was seeing as he was JEWISH! Not every little detail abou his life is in there, ya know.
    I can't tell you if there is any evidence that he was, all I can give you is an opinion. I think he was. But, i'm not to sure how much stock you want to put in my opinion, since I also believe he survived the crucifixtion and went on to live life with his WIFE and produce CHILDREN (oh, no, I said the c word, which means he would have had to have sex!). But, that's just me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Indeed, the writer of "DaVinci Code" did make up that story (he picked it up from some other speculating authors). And people seem to overlook the fact that he made it be a theory on the part of the VILLAINS in his book. He did NOT make his book end with that idea being shown to be true.

Also, as a lifelong Catholic, I am not in the least offended by the notion that Jesus might have been married. ... so what? As I was reading "DaVinci Code", I was thinking about it, and I could not come up with a SINGLE way that His being married would dilute or contradict anything He did as Jesus Christ.

The author of the book made his characters say that this idea would tear the Church apart, or spell the end of Christianity - but that was just to make the action in the book have heightened tension, not because such an idea would actually be a problem.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Here's the Gospel According to Mary Magdalene

There are a lot of other books that were excluded from the bible for whatever reason (obviously some people have already made up their mind about why ^ )

The evidence of them being married or having a relationship is mostly in those gnostic gospels.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Absolutely not! He was never married to anyone, wasn't gay, wasn't any of the nasty things that some pathetic people would have others to believe. Read the Bible, you'll find out exactly who He was... Son of God, God in the Flesh, King of Kings, Lord of Lords and Savior of all who will receive.

Anonymous

• I agree with NoPanicking

I certainly think he could've been married to Maggie! I might even be more open to Xtianity if he was married and had a family!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• There are a lot of things we DON'T know about Him. The Bible isn't a complete biography, just His message.

Heck, no one is even certain of the date of His birth! And I don't believe anything is written about what happened to Joseph, although Mary is written about extensively.

There's so much we don't know. And you don't necessarily NEED to know these things. Whether He was married or not doesn't take away from His message.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• When did being married turn into some thing nasty? Why is it not possible that he was married. Spirit Guide is right there is a lot of time that is not accounted. Would it be so bad if he did marry someone?
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• When did being married turn into some thing nasty?

Maybe he really was gay!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• So no one has any real facts? It is just a speculation?
    Anonymous