• In the Spotlight:

How close is to close to have babies?

Since joing this site I have noticed A lot of babies who arent 1 yet and the moms having another.

so to you how close is to close

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think your first baby should be at least 1 before you get pregnant again. That's just my feeling on it. I waited til my daughter was 18 months to get pregnant again.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have a friend who had boys 9 months and 11 days apart. went in on the 6 weeks check up and found out she was pregnant. Thats way to close for me.
    When I think it is to close is when someone can't take care of the child they have already and are trying to bring another one into the world.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Well as for me i don't think there is such a thing as too close,I have a 16 month old, 28 month old (there b-days are 2 days apart) and my oldest will be 4 this month. If you can physically emotionally / financially handle your kids close together then GO FOR IT!!!!
    Anonymous

• well It all depends on how you can handle yourself and your kids. I found out I was pregnant with my second child on my first child's 1st. birthday. She was not planned though. She was a surprise. My two are 21 months apart.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Popular opinion varies from that of medical personnel. I think they tell you to wait until your first child is atleast 3 months old before you start trying for #2 (same goes for, say, #6.) I personally think you should try to wait much longer. If a mom can hold off until kid #1 is almost 3, that's ideal. Then they're actually old enough to grasp what's happening and they can be little helpers. Not always, but..the potential's there.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• In my personal opinion...I think anything before 2 years is too close. I want my little boy to have a lot of special time and attention before I bring a new baby into the family that is going to take the majority of my time. Ideally I would like to wait to have another until my little boy is 4 so that way I won't have 2 kids in highschool/college at the same time. However after you have a baby, it is VERRRRYYYYY easy to get pregnant again shortly after so I think many women who have babies less than a year apart, probably didn't plan it that way.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My first 2 were only 18 months apart. It went okay, but I do recall my older son seeming lost and sad in a way that I couldn't figure out. Then I read this article:

http://www.empathicparenting.org/closely.html

Even if you do have your children more closely-spaced than this article recommends, it is very good to understand a young child's needs so that you can lessen the negative impact on them.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• FRANKLY I AM GONNA SAY IT.. WHAT BUISNESS IS IT OF YOURS.??

KIDS ARE NOT ON OTHER PEOPLE'S TIME TABLE.. SOMETIMES IT JUST HAPPENS..
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• For us anything before 3 years is to close. Our son is 3 years old and we have not decided when/if to try for another one. I love the fact my son has be able to enjoy a lot of special time and attention without another child. I always think it is sad when people have kids to close.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I actually believe that it's best to have them either less than 2 years apart or more than 5. I forget what I read, but that seems to be better for them emotionally.

Sadly, my oldest two are 3 1/2 years apart, but they are doing fine, so I guess it was a bit crazy.

Now my younger two will be almost to the day 2 years apart. I'm worried! But I do think that eventually it will be the better age difference, but I'm worried about dealing with two who are basically both babies.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009