Is a Maya Wrap supposed to let you be hands free??

I have one, and I don't know if I just don't know how to use it a different way, but I always feel like I still have to hold my baby.

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 6:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I see lots of moms using this. It's so cool. I wish they would have had them when my kids were little. I see most going hands free, but some holding onto their little butts. I'm not sure how it is made. If it ties, I would still hold on. If it's all one piece thats different. But, just make sure the baby doesn't move around and fall out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The most important thing is to make sure it's on the right way and your baby is secure. You may have to practice a bit to make sure it's on tight enough.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It does take some practice, and honestly, the Maya Wrap was never one that I loved. I have other unpadded ring slings that worked much better for me! I recently got another Maya Wrap sling, and even though I'm a fairly experienced babywearer, I still don't love it.

BUT: with any baby carrier, you should be able to take your hands off your baby while walking around. If the baby isn't secure enough to do it, then something needs adjusted. I suggest going to the forums at TheBabywearer.com and doing some trouble shooting. There are also articles on how to safely and comfortably use your ring sling.

Or it could be that you simply need to wear it for a little while, and with that you'll get more comfortable with it and figure out the little adjustments that can make a big difference. I cried when I first used a ring sling, I was so frustrated... but sticking with it paid off big, and now I don't have to think about it at all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have a Maya Wrap and though it is hands free I usually put my arm around my sons back for extra support. Make sure you watch the video that comes with it because it really helps.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009