HPV & cervical cancer?

i tested positive for HPV and also when they did my pap they found abnormal cells. i've heard of SO MANY girls getting cervical cancer due to abnormal cells from HPV. so if one contracts HPV, are they almost like guaranteed to get cervical cancer? i'm scared! they did a biopsy on my today and i asked how bad the cells looked and my doctor said there is mid-grade, high-grade, pre-cancer & then cancer. she said i was high grade. but isn't cervical cancer easy to get rid of? but if i do have it, and they get rid of it, what are my chances of being able to have more children? and isn't it BULLSHIT that men can have it and spread it but they don't have ANY symptoms/problems from it? i know its not my fiance that gave it to me, he's been tested for it and does not have it. i got it from an encounter with a woman. go figure. ughhhh. this is so embarassing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• they can do what is called a LEEP procedure, it removes the cervical tissue that is abnormal. (i had precanerous cells and had this procedure done b/c of HPV). since then i have had 2 children (had to have c-sections b/c of scar tissue on my cervix preventing dilation but i had also had a D&C for a m/c) its easy to get rid of if caught early, after my LEEP i had to go in every 3 months for a pap for 6 months, then every 6 months for 2 years then back to yearly. i had my first child about 4 yrs after the LEEP and had 2 m/c before having her. if you have any questions or anything feel free to message me.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I tested HPV positive and had the abnormal cells throughout my first pregnancy. They did a biopsy, even, but I had the mildest form of pre-cancerous cells, I guess. When I had my post-partum check-up, they found no abnormal cells at all. I thought that was weird because I didn't think it could just go away. But I don't think you're guaranteed cervical cancer with HPV... I've never felt doomed to it, that's for sure!
    Just keep seeing your doc regularly and keep an eye on those crazy cells.
    BTW- you could have gotten HPV from any sexual partner or even your mother. Some people live their whole lives and never know they have it.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Hope this can help you.

I was reading through some of the q&a on it, and it answered a lot of my own questions.  Best of luck!

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i have hpv, they did a biopsy on my cervix and thank God it was only mild infection. im at very low risk for cervical cancer, i don't have any symptoms at all for hpv. the doc told me to take care of myself, like eat healthy and exercise then i will be fine.
    Anonymous