Any nursing mothers get pink eye?

I have it now and went to the doctor. I told him I was breastfeeding and he prescribed me this eye drop, Vigamox. In the paperwork it says do not take while nursing.

Do you think I should? The doctor would know it would be ok for me to take since he did know I was breastfeeding, right?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2008. He assigns every drug a lactation risk category: L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated: Vigamox is considered L2, and this is if you are taking it orally. When it is put into the eye much less is absorbed by the blood stream and can get into the milk. "Complications following ophthalmic use (in the eye) are extremely remote as the plasma (blood) levels are very low.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It should be if the doctor said so. When my baby had pink eye, he gave her Polymyxin B-TMP and said that if my DD didn't use them, either my DH or I could if we got pink eye, that they are safe for everyone.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009