• In the Spotlight:

How to get vomit smell out of carseat?

DS vomited in car today and I cannot get the smell out? I`ve tried the dreft pen and clorox wipes and it did not get it!

loveeeyore

Asked by loveeeyore at 7:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• feebreeze is the best thing every!!! take the car seat out, wash the cover (every car seat i've ever seen the cover comes off you just have to find where) hang it dry so it won't shrink and not fit, then spray it w/some feebreeze
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Can you remove the seat cover and wash it? All the carseats I've had, have had removable seat covers/cushions that are machine washable. The straps are usually machine washable as well. Then really wipe down all the plastic parts to make sure there is no vomit on it either.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• An enzymatic cleaner (like for "pet messes") should do the trick, it has enzymes in it that actually eat the bacteria that makes the odor.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• One time my son puked really bad in the car and what I had to do is remove the car seat cover, wash it by hand and wash the straps by hand ( I washed them in laundry detergent) and they came out really good!! I hung them to dry because I didn't want any shrinkage, and that is also why I hand washed them. I also wiped down every single inch of that car seat so there would be no trace of vomit on it. He no longer has that car seat, but if you took it out today, it actually looks brand new with no trace/smell of spew on it whatsoever!!

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• find the owners manual for you car seat and look at the cleaning instruction. you can also go onto the website of whatever kind of car seat that you have and they will give you cleaning institutions as well. but i agree with the above posters every car seat that i have ever seen can be taken apart and the cover put in the washing machine. the straps on some say that you can wash them and some say don't wash them, that's why i say look at your owners manuel

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Okay, first and foremost DO NOT WASH THE STRAPS. It will make them defective, you dont want that. Wipe them down, but do not submerge them in water!!! Try removing the seat cover, and handwashing it in vinegar, then hang dry. The vinegar smell will go away when its dried, then you could use some febreeze. But Vinegar is the best odor remover ever. Remember though, washing the straps is dangerous and If you've already done it, please toss your seat!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thanks all I did the vinegar and baking soda last night and so far so good!
    loveeeyore

Answer by loveeeyore at 1:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I found these awesome websites:

www.spillklenz.com or www.odorklenzlaundry.com
    -Sara-

Answer by -Sara- at 3:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009