How to calm a colicky baby?

I would like some tips from moms that have had a colicky baby. My 8 wk old son is showing all the signs of having colic and I've read about how to help him but nothing in the books seems to help. I would also like to know when it usually starts to go away.

huntersmommy408

Asked by huntersmommy408 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had colic once, not really bad tho, but I just let her fuss it out. She was fine the next day. If you can handle the fussing just let him fuss. My daughter did just fine.
    mommy-17

Answer by mommy-17 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Check your with your dr. and see if he is to young for peppermint water. I can't remember how old ds was when we started giving it to him but it works wonders. What our dr. told us to do is to melt a peppermint lifesaver in water and then give it to him a bottle. It was only a couple of ounces. Whens he got older we switched to peppermint tea. We also used Mylicon. Nursing seemed to be the best comfort for him. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you want a suggestion right now I would say massage the baby's tummy. That kinda moves the gas around a bit and allows them to burp or fart.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We had horrible problems for the first 6 weeks. We discovered she was lactose intolerant and switched formulas and it was in instant change. But other ideas that worked for us was the mylicon gas drops as the previous poster said. And put a recieving blanket in the dryer for a couple of mins and then swaddle him in it. It worked wonders for us on our daughter. We didnt do to often just on those really bad crying fits that lasted for hours on end. She stopped being so fussy and crabby around 8 weeks. Good luck mama.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would try what vickwu suggested. Those worked with my son as well. We had to do a formula switch too because we found out he also had reflux. He was fine around 3 months or so.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Are you burping him during and after feedings? Is he pulling his legs toward his stomach and acting like he is in pain? My son was extremely fussy and it was because of gas. (I thought it was colic! But colic is excessive crying that cannot be explained.) We ended up having to switch formula and I tried the playtex drop-in bottles, and that worked wonders for us. We also did the five s's... swaddling, sushing (loudly), sucking (offer a pacifier or your finger, or something he likes to suck on), swinging (swing, rock, jiggle, or whatever movement works for your baby), and side/stomach (lay him on his side or stomach, swaddled if he allows it.) It can take several different "s's" before he actually stops crying. For my son, I had to swaddle him or hold him firmly, and turned on the tap water and let it run over a bowl (white noise) then I would sush and pace the kitchen, swinging him gently. Lots work, but helped to calm him.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I use to put my son in a sling and it helped so much, I also use to take a warm bath with my son and that helped...the warm water can help if they have a tummy ache.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• gas drops before every feeding, nutramagen formula. pain to get it covered by WIC but well worth it. $22 a can. (our pediatrition gave us samples) but 24 hrs later, she was totally different baby. colic, they cry at the same time everyday. I know she was done w/ her colic at 6mons because I switched her back to regular formula and she was fine. WE took turns walking around the house outside to. we faced her out w/ her belly on our hands and her back along the side of us, our body temps from our hand and her belly seemed to help.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• OKAY, my daughter had HORRIBLEEEEE colic. She cried for 8 hours a day...... STRAIGHT! First we switched her to soy based formula.....(how long has she been crying?) gas drops helped SOME.....the peppermint didnt help much.......however my great gma swore by cat nip tea. I ALWAYS said NOOOOO way. Until i was literally going INSANE! I got some at a herbal store....gave her small amounts in her bottle. IT REALLLLY HELPED!
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 3:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2009