Naming the baby after the father... old school or still cool?

The father of my child is Matthew and I really like the name and the meaning (gift from God)... but were not married and I was kinda worried if its old school to name the baby after the father? I have other names in mind also Kaius (Kai for short), and Landon... whats your opinion

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 7:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally have never been a fan of naming the baby after the father. I don't like the Jr. Sr. nonsense that is tied to it all. My uncle named his first son after him and its soooo confusing. Whenever someone in my family talks about Mike, we never know which one they are talking about. That's just my opinion though. And since you aren't married to the baby's father...I definitely wouldn't do it. You can always use Matthew for a middle name. Like Landon Matthew or something like that. But choose whatever you want to choose. There is no rule book on what you have to name your kids. Pick a name you like and be done with it! If you like Matthew than use it! But don't use it just because you feel you HAVE to for whatever reason.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Lil J's father said I better name our baby after him...lol. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• lol, as long as you can differentiate your son from your man and don't treat them the same. there's always the middle name for that too
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think it's still cool, I have several friends who named their sons after their fathers. My husband and I are not going to do that but only because he doesn't like his first name :)
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 8:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think it's a personal decision and you should name your child what you feel is right. irregardless of others likes or dislikes for a name.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think it's a nice tradition. My dad was the 3rd with his name (but didn't pass it on to any of my brothers). If I have a boy, I might make him the 4th!
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 8:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My wants our future son to be named after him. I said ok just as long as I get to pick the middle name. I think it still cool
    Thaifalung20

Answer by Thaifalung20 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It's a nice tradition. *shrug*

DF and I are giving our son his first name as a middle name, so it will be Soren Marshall. Then again, DF is a THIRD! lol. We decided we could do the traditional thing to a certain extent, but we wanted to him a different first name.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i don't like it. i think that everyone deserves their own name. plus, i don't like the jr/sr stuff.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 8:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Go with what you feel. My oldest is named after my dad. His name is Philip Joseph, but to make it simple my son is PJ.

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009