what is a good caugh medicine? my baby is 5 months tylenol is not doing much

my little one is five months old he has a runny nose and cough. i tried infants tylenol and it's not working. i want it to go away he's been like that for about a week.. what is affective HELP!

aundreiia

Asked by aundreiia at 8:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you CANT give him ne thing else...if you havent, take him to the doc, it may be allergies but he could develop pneumonia if left untreated and you dont want that!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Well its not recommended to give cough medicines to young kids anymore.....So I know at the doctors office where I work I cant give children under the age of ...i think 4, cough medicine. I mean the good stuff. So I guess just use over the counter cough medicine. I would talk to your doctor about dosage though.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Use saline drops in his nose and you can suction it with a bulb syringe if you want (though you don't have to). You can also run a humidifier in his room (but not a vaporizer with Vicks in it). No meds except Tylenol for a baby that young.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would not give any medicine unless your doctor specifically told you to. The recommendation by the FDA is that you not give any over-the-counter cold or cough medicine to children under 4. Use a humidifier or sit in the bathroom with the shower on - the steam may help with the cough. You can also buy baby Vaporub, but don't put it directly on the skin. I put it on a piece of fabric outside of baby's onesie. I also put a rolled up blanket under one end of her crib to elevate her head a little while she sleeps - this helps with the nasal congestion.

Be sure to suction out the nose with the boogie sucky thing before every feeding. If it's really clogged, you can get some saline drops for babies to help loosen it up. Other than that, just give lots of comfort and check for fever.

If the cough lasts more than a couple of days, or if the nasal discharge is really green/yellow see your doctor.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My mom told me to give my DS frozen apple juice when his throat was raw from crying (teething sux)
    A can of apple juice usually is a little syrupy, so you just pour it into a sandwich bag with a little hole in the corner and let him suck on that, or use a syringe if you got it! His doctor told me that saline drops works for runny or dry noses.
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You can't give any cough medicine at all... and tylenol isn't going to help with the cough either... it's for fevers and pain.
    Humidity helps the most to soothe a cough... put a humidifier in his room.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would use a humidifier. My doctor also said for congestions is having sleep in the car seat so they are propped up to help with stuffiness. Infant Tylenol don't have decongestants in it. It's just a pain reliever.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009