An innocent keg of really old beer or a ticking time bomb?

Does anyone know if beer kegs will eventually explode? I've got a three-year old (Yeah, I know. Reeeaaaally long time, right?) half-full keg of beer sitting in my garage. We need to get rid of it, but frankly, we're afraid to look at it wrong, much less tap it and drain it or throw it in a truck and haul it to the dump.

Am I looking at the possibility of a late-night carbonated blow-up and a really awkward-to-explain insurance claim?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• send the hubby out to crack it. i doubt it will explode but the smell is going to be awful
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think after its in a keg for so long it actually loses its carbonation. I dont think its going to blow up.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would call your local trash pick-up company and see what they recommend. They should know if it will blow up if you touch it!
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 8:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• LOL! I'm sorry but this is hilarious! I agree call your trash company and see what they recomend. I'm sure they have heard it all before.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My SO said to turn it upside down and try to pour some out. ??? that should release the air pressure i guess.

I'm just giggling cause i'm wondering why it's been sitting for 3 years. LOL That must have been one good party that it's still sitting there. ;)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• lol call the fd, they will get rid of it, either by drinking it or making sure its to chuck lol
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• take it back to the distrubitor, or find a beer truck on his route somewhere wither way they'll give you $30 end of story. Beer in a keg is not carbonated at all, thats why you have to hook co2 up to it, or pump your beer out, it makes the foammy fizz the OP was worried about, My husband drives a keg truck for Budweiser, he said just drop it off with either of the above two suggestions, Its no big deal, certainly not dangerous.
    sillymommy166

Answer by sillymommy166 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009