• In the Spotlight:

2 yrs old still in crib

My daughter will be 2 june 28 and she is still in a crib.Is this to old to be in a crib, should i switch her to a toddler bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There's no need to rush her if you're not expecting another baby soon that you'll need the crib for.
    Believe me, it would be great if I could have kept mine in a crib longer! LOL
    But if you want to transition her, ask HER how she feels. Does she want a "big girl" bed?
    Maybe if she seems interested (and if you have space) you can get her bed and put it in her room with her crib. So she can try it out, but if she's feeling uncomfortable she can go back to the crib.
    But really, there's NO reason to rush unless you need the crib.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with motherofanaries, no rush. if shes not getting out of it by herself whats the worry...when your both ready its time.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my son is almost 22 mos old && I still have him in a crib. I've always been told they can stay in there until their weight exceeds the weight limit of the crib. I just don't think he's ready for a "big boy" bed. I know that if I changed him right now, it would be a constant battle to keep him in his own bed at night. I don't really have a specific age in mind for when I'm going to transition him, it's just whenever i feel he is ready.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The only restriction is the weight limit on the cirb - usually about 50 pounds. Other than that, you should move her before she's 4 or several months before you have a new baby who will need the crib.

I moved mine at 32 months. At that point I knew she was old enough to obey the rules (stay in bed, stay in your room) instead of wandering the house at night or playing all through her nap instead of sleeping. If I'd moved her earlier - like 10 months when she was trying to climb out or even at 24 months - she would have stopped napping, bedtime would have been a huge battle, and we would have all been miserable.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you think she will get hurt in the crib, then it's time to switch. My son was 2 when he was switched, but only because we was ready to switch while i was between jobs and school.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my son is 2 (he just turned 2 in April) and he is still in his crib. I am going to keep him in his crib until I think he will get the concept of sleeping in a bed and staying in it, which just isn't right now.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 8:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If she can't climb out on her own then there's no rush. my DD was in a crib until almost 3. she would still be in one if I wasn't expecting #3.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 9:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I read an article in a "babytalk" magazine about what ages babes should give up bottles, pacis, cribs, strollers, etc. . . . and the "experts" (and whoever that may be, don't remember now, lol) recommended that our little ones could stay in a crib until they were 3 as long as they were content and not climbing out..
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• co-sleeping is an option.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My daughter will be 3 in September and is tiny for her age...25 pounds. She's still sleeping in her crib and will continue to do so until she's ready for a big girl bed. Her bed converts to a toddler bed and when we took the side rail off to convert it, she had a fit. She's just not ready for a big girl bed at the moment which is fine with me. I think it all depends on the situation regarding the child and parents. I love the fact that mine is still in her crib!
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 4:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2009