How much milk?

How much milk should a 23 month old be getting? I give my daughter a full cup with breakfast, half with lunch and one with dinner.Is this enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Plenty. 16 to 24 ounce a day. Your's is getting 20. Too much will fill her up so she won't eat food. Too much can also cause constipation and anemia.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• at that age my daughter had a sippy cup full w/each meal and usually one throughout the day to break up the juice she was getting. but the doctor never actually told me a set amount that she should be getting, i just figured 4 glasses (or more if she asked for milk instead of juice) of milk a day was plenty
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You can start transitioning her to water; this is the only beverage required by humans past the age of 2.
    Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Try this site:
    www.MyPyramid.gov

You can find out how much of all the different food groups she should be eating based on her age and activity level.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Plenty. 16 to 24 ounce a day. Your's is getting 20

Depends on the size of cup.  Most sippies for small kids aren't 8 ounces.

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I actually just asked my nutritionist this today, and it's 16 ounces. 24 is okay, but they want to keep it as 16 because too much can lead to anemia. My son is also 23 months!
    Lisa_Bug

Answer by Lisa_Bug at 7:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009