We just rescued about a 7 month old puppy we think and my older dog is trying to have sex with her, what do I do?

Shes way too young to have sex and she can handle her self cause she wont let him do it but Im scared that when were gone he might try and take advantage of it and wont leave her along untill she lets him do it. What can I do cause I feel bad she always has to watch her back litteraly!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Not much to do besides keeping them separated or getting your dog fixed.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would get her fixed first and foremost so that if he does "do the deed" she won't get pregnant. Also how about seperating them when you leave the house? Put him or her in a kennel or in seperate rooms. When he mounts her when you ARE around, scold him and tell him no. After a few times he will hopefully learn not to do that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• fix them both
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• She is not too young to become pregnant, most dogs come into heat at about 6 months old...Get them both fixed, that way you dont have to worry about him running off to mate or another dog coming in your yard and getting her pregnant
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Your older dog could also be trying to establish dominance with the new dog. You need to "run block" and step in between him and the new pup. Don't even let him look at her. Stay on him (this can take 15+minutes) then when he ignores her, slowly walk away. You may have to do this a few times till he realizes you are the dominant one and he hasn't the control he thought he had. Good Luck.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my brother dog does the samething to my dog. my brother dog is intact and my dog is a neurtered male. if ur dog is fixed its probably a dominence issue the only thing u can do is diciplin him. if he's not fixed then yea he's trying to do the deed...so im quick to get one of them fixed...if its her u get fixed he'll probably still do it and if he is older and u get him fixed the chance r he'll keep on doing bc then it becomes a learned behavor
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Get the male neutered. I think unless you want to raise puppies, it's the only option. And you shouldn't even consider breeding until the female is at least 24 months old. She needs to go through at least 2 heat cycles before getting pregnant. Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If theyre not fixed get them fixed but chances are he is just showing dominance by humping...my dogs are both fixed and once in a while just to show whos boss one will hump the other....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You dont have much to worry about, if you adopted then shes spayed so she wont allow it regardless of how young she is.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Ok thanks for everyone who answerd and she an inside dog just like our other one so I dont need to worry about other dogs getting her pregnant and I rescued her I didnt exactly adopt her from a shelter. She was at my husbands work starving and he couldnt leave her so we took her in. I will definatly look into getting our male dog nuetered though. I wish I had the money right now so she didnt have a chance of getting pregnant but I just have to wait cause my bills come first so I can have a roof over my familys head. Thanks again every one for taking the time to respond!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2009