Which is best for a 4 year old - "co pilot" bike trailer or actual bike?

My son is turning 4, and we want to get him either a trailer "bike" that attaches to the back of mine, or his own bike with training wheels. His little brother is getting a bike seat that attaches to the front of my bike. Obviously, we could travel longer distances with the bike trailer, but it would be more work for me and might not be as fun for him? Anyone with experience with these options for a 4 year old?

jmcgladr

Asked by jmcgladr at 8:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we got our son a bike with training wheels for his third bday
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you're looking for convenience the trailer but if you're going for the fun factor for your son the bike for sure... sitting in a trailer watching other kids ride their own bikes at the park isn't fun for any kid.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• our daughter has a bike with training wheels. she is pretty good on it but i couldn't ride my bike and help her with it. sometimes she forgets how to brake and can't make sharp turns. hills are also scary for her. if you're looking to do trips and long distances a tralier is probably the better choice.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• we have both, because we bike for longer distances sometimes, but other times we just want to fool around.

however - ditch the training wheels, they will only slow him down. Get a balance bike or some version of it. WAY BETTER. my son learned to ride a pedal bike no training wheels at 2, and he never fell while learning.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I saw the Kettler balance bike online and was wondering about that, but it seemed like it would have limited use before he'd want something with pedals, since he's already almost 4. He does great on his trike and tried a 2-wheel bike with training wheels at Toys R Us and did really well on it! I'm leaning toward the bike for him - would dearly love to get both but our budget doesn't permit that.
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 7:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i would say his own bike.
    MOM22QTS

Answer by MOM22QTS at 8:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would also say his own bike simply for the fact so he could learn. My son is 3 and we got him a small 12 inch with TW for his birthday. Within 3 weeks he was riding like a pro and riding with no hands and standing up to pedal. I was amazed. Of course he still sometimes goes outside with a passy in his mouth. Its funny to see this kid riding this bike with a passy. So funny.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• see if you can find the trail a bike on craigs list or ebay. We have both for our 4 yr old (we also have older kids, so they have served us well.) Or 4 yr old doesn't have the stamina to really go on a ride like the rest of us so he goes on the trail a bike. If we are just going around the neighborhood or to the park, he takes his own bike.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We have several Re-used toy and children's clothes shops that would be easy to find him a bike for a lot less, then use the money for the trailer new. Or try E-bay to get them cheaper. Then you might could have both, if not at the same time, eventually.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my 5 yro rides her bike w/training wheels over 2miles a day with her dad.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 10:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2009