Moms help! is your 14mth old low in iron ?

Just spoke with my daughters doc, my 14mth old has very low iron, something like -1 where 10 would be normal.

My DD is perfectly healthy, alert, everything a normal kid is supposed to be. She was 5wks premautre, weighed only 5lbs and never drank formula, has been on breast milk all along.

So this doc wants us to go see a specialist for further evaluation.

DD throws up every time i give her iron suppliments, she eats regular food and is a great eater.

My doc thinks if we let this go, it will affect growth and brain development.

Am so worried.

I'm starting to dislike this doc, all she told me was to go see a specialist and get more tests done.

I know my baby is perfectly healthy, can i refuse to see a specialist?

Is anyone going through the same situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mom2twobabes, thanks for not responding again. I think the OP gets it. She wanted to know about other moms with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE in this problem. If you have no advice or support, don't bash her while she's figuring this out. She aleady said that she'd take him to the specialist, she's just looking for someone else who's been down this road.

OP-I would get a 2nd opinion, perhaps the test was done wrong. Funny thing about iron-deficiency is how normal looking the children are on the outside, while the blood is telling you something else on the inside. Our FS tested at 6 for iron at about 14 months at our WIC appt. But the encouraging thing is when they can eat meat, greens, etc. better, it may resolve itself. The next WIC visit he was at 12. He's a strong, healthy boy, too. But 6 is way higher than -1, and may say that there is something going on inside that you want to find out about ASAP. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Why would you refuse a second oppinion.

If you think this Dr is crazy and there is no problem then you dont have anything to loose.

If this Dr is right, then you NEED to follow the Dr's recommendations.

This is strange to me.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i'd like to hear from other moms if they also have a child with very low iron levels and if they've been referred to a specialist.
    i dont know how to cope with this, doctors arent God and they do make mistakes and esp now, to avoid getting sued they do all sorts of sometimes unnecessary tests to cover their backs.
    my FIL had a stroke, the doc at the ER prescribed him some medication and it turns out he was being OD-ed. Gave him too big of a doseage.
    I probably will go see a specialist but i just wanted to hear from moms going through similiar situation so i can talk about this.....get some support, it will make me feel better my kid is not the only one with low -1 iron level.
    Anonymous

• Of course Dr's arent God....thats why you need a SECOND OPINION.

Or, you could just look back in a few years and realize you were wrong at your DAUGHTERS EXPENSE. That sure would be painful to know that if you have followed up on a Dr's ideas that you could have avoided a problem.

I dont have any idea about iron levels etc....but I do know about the correct care of my children, and that is to follow up any potential problem, NOT brush it under the rug b/c I think all Dr's are nuts....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I dont need a lecture, i need other moms who have the SAME experience , i'd like to hear from them.

Of course i'm concerened and i'm not going to brush it under the rug! 

Anonymous

• My 12 mo old is with a low iron of 9.6 and my Dr wants her to be on an iron supplement. She about vomits every time I give it to her. I have been trying to feed her iron rich foods and cooking in cast iron skillets but she has such a small appetite. How low was your baby's level? It seemed like you mean less than 1.0....is that correct? I think they want them around 11 or higher. My daughter is also breastfed without any supplement from formula. She is super tiny at 15.9 lbs. She was only 5lbs at birth and is still very small. If I were you, I would listen to my Dr unless you have reason not to trust her. I know mine doesn't alarm me unless needed. It is really hard when you have a problem with your baby. I have the low iron and a very tiny baby in weight and height. This past Dr visit was a downer for sure. I hope you get the help you need with your litle one.
    KP0401

Answer by KP0401 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I believe her doc wants you to take her to a hematologist (specializes in blood disorders). I am an RN, and I will tell you, if her iron levels are that low and supplements are not working to rule out some other disorder (she vomits it up), and there is nothing more her doc can do, then, I would take her to a specialist. At least for peace of mind if nothing else. You do need to get her levels up though, so something needs to be done.
    averys1mama

Answer by averys1mama at 10:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with averys1mama. My ds was anemic. He had be very sick 2 months prior to the anemia. The dr. prescribed iron drops. I would put the drops in juice, water, applesauce. Nothing worked. He refused whatever I put the drops in. The dr. suggested letting my son eat raisins, beef, apricots, etc. It worked. If it hadn't worked, the dr. would have mentioned seeing a specialist. My ds was so small, he was under the lowest line on the height and weight charts. After having tests performed on my ds, it was determined that he was going to take after the smaller people in our family.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You sure are defensive, I said brush it under the rug, b/c thats exactly what it sounded like you were doing. You said " You KNOW that she is perfectly healthy and want to refuse a specialist"

You are not a Dr (are you) you dont know whats going on inside of her....take her to someone who knows about these things, like a specialist, if you think that particular Dr is crazy, try a better one.

I will not respond again, its amazing what some people act like.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have never heard of a child being referred to a different specialist for a low iron count. To me it just sounds like another way for the insurance companies and DOCs to pad their pockets.

Honestly, if it were my child I would feed them foods rich in iron and then get re-tested. It's normal for kids iron levels to fluctuate because while growing their bones absorb the nutrients and then release the leftovers back into the blood stream. Your DOC could have tested on a day that absorbtion was in effect.

Doctors do not view anything holistically anymore, they just refer you to a specialist that only knows their speciality, and that's not always healthy.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2009