Your thoughts on uniforms in Public Schools; are you for or against it?

we just signed our twins up for fall kindergarten today. The staff said that by a 55% vote parents voted to have uniforms. this doesn't bother me at all, less clothing to buy no worries about "keeping up with the joneses cause we need name brand stuff" and all the "uniform" is basically, is solid shirts, pants, jeans(no holes) no words on any clothes except school logo shirts($10 ea.)

So, do you think it's a good thing or bad thing that a public school has uniforms? Do you think it's a violation of any rights? This is basically just a "dress code" more or less, just with more specific guidelines than the standard p.s. dress code.

Just curious.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 8:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went to schools with and without uniforms as a kid. By far, I prefer the uniforms. Especially now as a parent.
    Cons -
    No individuality. Bull. Trust me, even with a "these pants, this skirt, and this shirt only" type uniform code, we found many creative ways to express ourselves. Socks, shoes, jewelry, hair styles, backpack, notebook... many, many ways to be "our own person".

Pros -
    No morning hassle. The kids always know what they are wearing, don't have to decide or agonize over it.
    Cheaper. You don't need a dozen shirts, pants, skirts, etc. A few of each will get you through the week.
    More professional. I found that when we wore uniforms we were better students. It is a kids "job" afterall. Dress like a bum, act like a bum really is true.
    No teasing. Since everyone wears the same thing, no one is put down or outcast for not wearing the latest overpriced junk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have been on both sides of this...for the kids the whole idea behind it is GREAT!! For parents it makes morning routine that much easier but heres the thing. When i was working at Wal-mart i met sooo many parents who couldnt find the right size for their kid, or couldnt afford the uniform stuff. Schools around here are SOOO STRICT they will put a kid in ISS for the wrong socks!! so its very stressful for parents who could afford to get by on random odds and ends or get things from their local salvation army....for parents who can afford it, its pretty cool, just depends on how you look at it and which end of the financial spectrum your on
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think its a good idea. I had to wear a uniform when i was younger in school. You dont have to worry about your kids clothes matching. Them being judged by what kind of clothes they wear and stuff like that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• That's a good point you make, which i forgot about. the cost of uniforms. At least for my boys school it won't be too bad because it's just a standard tshirt, so we can get those at walmart goodwill etc...

I've met moms when i use to work at a resale shop we sold school uniforms. One mom told us that teachers would check the tag on the back of the shirts, and if it wasn't bought from a certain vendor the kids were sent home.(that's an extreme case there of course not common and that was a private school).

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would be for it if they didn't have to be a certain brand. Or maybe just having it where you can't wear a type of clothes like bagging jeans and t-shirts with writing on them., but nice jeans that actually fit and a casual shirt would be ok.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 8:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My kids school is going to shirt uniforms. Pants are what we want our kids to wear and the shirts are at a uniform store. I'm all for school uniforms. I'm not thrilled that the shirts are all white and $30 for short sleeves and up to $45 for long sleeves and sweaters. I wish we could have a different colour, my kids can't keep white clean, I'll be fighting stains daily! Parent's are working together to get the school to allow for less expensive shirts with an iron on logo.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Personally, I don't like it. I do feel it's a violation of rights. It may just be a "dress code", but sometimes dresscodes go too far & that "too far" has to start somewhere. I do feel a "dress code" should be just that, though, if there is going to be one ---- covering what is WORN to school & can be changed when they're off-campus only.

My school district is currently in federal appeals court with a Kindergartener's family ~~ it's the "dress code" that boys can't have hair touching the ears or touching the top of a collared shirt. This family is of Apache decent and their son has long hair he wears in braids. He spent the first half of the year in ISS because he refused to cut his hair.

I, however, don't have to put up with any of it. The dress code at this school is just the tip of the iceberg with me...... so my kids school at home.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My 9yo dd freaked out when she heard that her best friend (8yo) has to wear a uniform at her new school! I personally think it's great. Less clothes to keep up with. However, I do have a fashion designer in training and her wardrobe of a thousand pieces (exagerating, of course) would go to waste if she weren't able to "model" them at school.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my son's school started this past year. I was fine but the only place that sold the right colors was ONE walmart. They were sold out for weeks. So my son had to wear the same 3 outfits for about 3 weeks till we got more. It is good because you know what they are going wear but my son likes to sometimes fight me tooth and nail about wearing them. Also the schools let the kids come home with food and paint on their clothes so if they stain you need to go buy new. Right now the school year is about to end and my son's clothes are in ruins.

I don't think that it is against anyones freedom. Actually as a kid I was teased about my clothes not begin named brand. My parents had the money to buy me expensive clothes but why should they? Kids get dirty and make messes and grow!! Why keep spending so much when you can get the exact same thing for way less. I got my first name brand thing when I was 12. I feel the same way.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• There are pros and cons to both sides. Where I live, every elementary, middle, and high school requires uniforms.

We homeschool--so our uniform is PJ's!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009