no bird feeder during summer?

my mom told me not to fill bird feeders during summer months because berries and stuff are readily available for the birds. is this true? i have a bunch of milk jugs and am really wanting to make some bird feeders with them, but find it pointless to put them up with nothing in them...

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• put your feeders up, let the kids pick the berries.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We put up our feeder and fill it every other day or so.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I can see her reasoning, and I certainly wouldn't stress about making sure it's filled or not - but mine is up and filled right now. They do need it a lot more in the winter months, of course - but I can't think of any ecological reason not to have it up. Perhaps someone else knows more about that?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have a beautiful bird feeder and the birds stay very busy eating and eating. We love to "back-yard-bird-watch" and it draws diff. kinds b/c we use a mixed seed. Birds do have berries and stuff to eat, but if your mom is saying that its wasteful to put birdseed out, that isn't necessarily so b/c our feeder stays busy all year round.

Maybe she's trying to help you not spend the money on feed, or at least till winter?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you fill it this time of year the birds will feel more at home and nest in your area. That means they will come back every year. As well as thier offspring. So the end result is you will get more birds who come back as well as staying the winter.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 12:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• They are not necassary during the summer, but we do fill ours because the kids love to watch the birds and it encourages them to hang around our house. It is totally your choice. You don't even need to put one up in the winter time. If you want to cut costs on bird feed maybe make a bird bath and let the kids watch them in there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We always fill ours in the summer, my children and I love to watch the birds in the early morning hours when the fedders are packed !! It seams we get more and more that come each year
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 1:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009