• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my toddler to sleep in her crip?

My husband is laid off so she has spent the majority of her life being held all night to sleep since he doesn't have anywhere to go in the morning. (Yes, I objected to this, but at 3 in the morning when you have to work the next day and your baby is crying, it seems convinient.) The problem is that she is just short of 18 months and still wants to be held all night. We have tried crying it out but she's too stubborn and doesn't give up and/or tire out. We also tried co-sleeping and the little by little approach where you move towards the door a little more each night- all to no avail! At this point I am out of ideas!

angelafree

Asked by angelafree at 8:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wait til shes asleep and then put her in her bed. my friend was told to do this w/her son after co-sleeping for 2 years and after about a month of him falling asleep in their bed but waking up in his own, at bed time he started to go to his own bed instead of theirs.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Haha, I saw that little by little approach on Super Nanny and it actually worked. So, when you said that it didn't work for you, well, I'm at a loss. That's tough. When will she graduate to a big girl bed? The only thing that I can think of is maybe she will be more willing to sleep in a big girl bed rather than a crib when it's time. She may be so excited about it plus it's something different. This may sound strange but maybe you can remove the crib, put a matress on the floor, put her in her room at bedtime and let her be in control of what she does when you put her in there. Eventually, she may figure it out and just plop herself down on the mattress but at least she will have the control and not feel confined to a crib. Good luck.
    averys1mama

Answer by averys1mama at 10:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• girl you got problems on your hands you just made the biggest mistake you never allow you kid from day one sleep with you once its done its a b***h to undo it all i can say is that your gonna have to get stern with her cause she's walking all over you & your letting her do it you may not know it but you are. you need to tell her this is mommy's & daddy's bed & this is your bed & thats it your too big to sleep with mommy and dad and you need to be in your own bed and if she throws a fit let her & put her in her room and shut the door she has to get used to being in her room. you might have to say if don't go to bed in your bed i'm gonna lock you in your room & if your good i'll leave the door open with a light in case you need me but also if she gets up in the middle of the night & tries to crawl in bed say no or im putin you to bed and shutting the door & do it if she throws a fit. it sounds crazy but you have undo 3 yrs....
    IceyAngel6966

Answer by IceyAngel6966 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009