fear of bugs...

my daughter has sudden fear of bugs. its been going on about a month now and its driving me insane. its to the point where if she sees a fly she runs from the room screaming. its summer there will be flies in the house. when we are outside she doesn't want to walk on the ground b/c of the bugs. at first i humored it but i can't deal with her fussing every time we go outside or her screaming when she sees a bug. any ideas on how to help her get over it already. i don't want her to end up like my SIL who is the same way and is 28 yrs old, running screaming like a baby b/c she sees an ant or something in the house.

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 8:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes. I asked almost the exact question about a month ago here, did some research and here's what happened with us... DD4 all of a sudden started FREAKING out when she saw bugs, bees especially. SCREECHING and running. At first it made me insane and I'll admit I got angry a few times, then I read about how common it is and it is a real fear for them and to be a little more understanding. So, that's what I did. I started warning her if there was a bee so she wouldn't freak when she saw it, if she didn't want to play outside I said that was ok, but that me and her brother were going to go out and she could stay inside. She slowly started coming out on her own and she is MUCH better now. She still doesn't like bees but it won't ruin our summer like I initially feared. Cont....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Now, I think the most effective thing I did, was every time we were in the car I'd make up these little stories in funny voices, I'd tell her that the baby bugs were asking the mommy and daddy bugs if they could PLEASE go play with the little girl and the mommy and daddy bugs always said, NO NO NO, you can't go play with her, she doesn't like you...and the baby bugs would say, but we LOVE her, PLEASE let us go play with her, she smells so good, and the mommy and daddy would say that they could go outside to play but DO NOT go by the little girl, she thinks you are scary and ugly and the babies would say, but we LOVE her.... etc. etc. etc. DD thought it was HILARIOUS and would ask me to tell her what the babies said every time we got in the car. I think it just gave her a view of them that she wasn't thinking about. I have no idea if that makes ANY sense...lol. Good luck, its very frustrating.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• thanks! i'll give that i try i tried telling her they are afraid of her and they think shes a big scary monster but then she just goes mommy i'm not a scary monster. so that doesn't work, i've tried telling her they won't hurt her, i've tried to "scare" them all away, but no matter what she freaks. and she loves to play outside and keeps asking to go outside but honestly i'm so tired of getting her covered in sunscreen, bug spray and getting her dressed, me dressed and making sure the baby is covered up enough to go out since he can't have sunscreen and bug spray just to get outside and hear her freak about a bug and want to just sit in my lap the whole time. its sooo frustrating, and i'm trying so hard not to lose my temper but i have a few times. i can deal with the bugs outside fear and even if she sees an ant or something else in the house. but a fly? drives me insane..i'll try the story thing see if that works
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I had to find some harmless bugs, such as ladybugs or pill bugs, to pick up and show my ds that they wouldn't hurt me. I would ask him if he would like to hold the bug or touch it. I left it up to him. Sometimes, he would touch it or hold, and sometimes he wouldn't. I have done this with all 3 of my boys. Bees are a common fear for everyone. If a honey bee comes around you, gently blow on it. It will fly away. It doesn't like the smell of our breath. I learned this from a bee keeper.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2009