Any one know how much i should NEG to make at a new job....

I would be an office clerk, doing filing phone calls and taking payments..basically a secretary/receptionist. in NC...dont know how much i should look to make.. i almost have a BA degree and im no dummy. I know id be good at what their looking for...and i need the money i just dont wanna sound greedy or sell myself short!!? Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ask what the range is an what they would consider a fair offer with your degree and skills. I took a job that didn't require a master's degree and I said I would likely be able to do more for the department becuase I had one (I could pinch hit for an instructor for instance). I asked the HR person what someone comparable to my position in another department would make if they had a master's degree. I got four dollars an hour over what I let them offer me to start! I was pretty happy with myself.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Did you ask what they have budgeted for the postion?
    www.salary.com has a salary calculator.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We just hired our receptionist. There was no negotiation on salary. We paid $12 and hour, with benefits, and there were 450 applicants for the position. The person hired has a B.A. in political science, and is a 2nd year law school student. My understanding is that two applicants did accept the job and tried to up the salary-- they were each then turned down as clearly what was offered and what they expected didn't meet.

The present situation isn't favoring the worker-- so be careful. If they didn't identify a salary right away, then you can negotiate. But if they have a set salary in mind, I wouldn't push too hard. Good luck!
    Anonymous