Anyone else have an altar? What do you have on it?(Non-Pagan welcome to answer)

Was just wondering what items you have on your altar. I just recently started making my altar, and I can't wait to be finished. So far I have a candle warmer with a picture of my animal guide(dragonfly), a candle, fairy figurine, a photo of Isis next to a fairy mother holding a baby. Do any of you keep candles burning all night long(or all day?). Or only if you have a special request or as a daily offering to the Goddess/God?

I was just wondering how many of you keep your altar out all the time, or if any of you have to put it away in a chest or box because of the children. My kids are now old enough to know not to touch it.

This question can be answered by non-Pagans too. I know some people have statues of mary or those large votive candles they keep lit all night long. I had a friend whose mother burned one of those long votives in her kitchen all day and all night.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 9:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• All of my altar items stay in a locked storage box(I'm still in the 'broom' closet lol) unless I'm using it. The top of the box makes for a good spot to put everything. I have candles, insence, veve's for different Lwa, offerings (rum,perfume,cigars) A knife, graveyard dirt, pictures of the appropriate saint (matches certain Lwa), jewelry and more. I practice voodoo.
    Anonymous

• A picture of a seedling, candles, incense burner, a couple of rooster icons, a lovely rock, some dried herbs - and sometimes dried flowers - (which changes depending on the and a small grapevine wreath.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have a statue of my patron diety, I have a bright cloth underneath it. I have an elephant for luck next to her. I have a candle in front and slightly to the side of the statue.
    I have a bowl for water and for food offerings and I have an incense burner.

All I really need now is to get something to represent earth and a bell(which I have I just havent put them out yet).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have a wooden pentegram that my hubby made. Candles, greenman candle holder and a Goddess statue, shell, feather, incense,and a quartz crystal and Goddess beads for devotional.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The upstairs private alter has my six little Buddah figurines and one of Kali. I have part of the ashes of my first priestess/ mother of my heart, my athame, matching sun/ moon candle holders that were my grandmother's and a little plate for burning incence.

The downstairs alter is technically a shelf/cupboard thing. on one shelf is my star candle holder ( it's a glass star that you put a tea light in), a photo of my DH and I with our matching precious moments figurines (navy boy for him and air force girl for me), and an angel precious moment with the December birthstone for my DD. It's not overtly alter-y just so I don't scare the non pagan-y people, but I do have brooms over the doors.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• These all sound like lovely altars. I am really excited about finally having one. Want to make sure it doesn't look "cluttered" though, ya know? I wonder if there is such a thing as having too much stuff on one's altar.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have several...

See them HERE

...and this isn't even all of them!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• OOOO mamaK!!! I love them!!! I especially like the one with the toolbox. Love it! And I have to tell you I was cracking up with your comment "the chorus of redneck woman should be going through your head right now" LOLLLLL you're too funny! :)

Where do we see the others? LOL Let me know when you post them. ;)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• A photo of mine is on my home page. It's on the corner of a vanity dresser. I have a twin dragons statue (I am a Gemini and a dragon is one of my spirit guides) who holds a sword letter-opener that has become my athame. I have two white taper altar candles. I have a Archangel Michael, Holy Spirit, and Guardian angel catholic candles. I have a clear crystal cluster and several altar stones. I have an oil burner and incense burner. I have a 4" long besom or broom for ceremonial sweeping. I have three wands--one wooden one that I made and two brass ones that I got at a metaphysical fair. I've sewn several altar cloths with pentacle designs for different seasons. I keep four feathers on the altar for decoration and to symbolize my air sign. I have a pentacle ring that I use to ground me before spells or rituals. And I have lots of shelves all around that hold my candles, oils, spellbooks and such.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• All my kids are pretty young. so no leaving stuff out. The only thing I keep on my altar is the altar cloth ( white satin with purple triple moon symbol. In the center of the triple moon is a square to make it resemble an I-ching coin. Also a symbol of the earth. And the symbol for Venus standing above it.) It sounds detailed, but it's not. The only other thing I keep on the altar at all times is an Archangel Michael candle. The other things stones, shells candles, incense,and other misc. items are in a lock box . They come out only when I am doing meditation or preparing to petition the universal forces for a request or spell.
    Anonymous