paddleing in school

I would like to know why it is a crime for a parent to spank a kid but its ok for a stranger to use a board on them. (school teachers and principal) and if you are a parent who doesnt spank would you let your child get paddled in school. I do spank mine when they need it but I do not let the school do it because I dont want strangers spanking my kids.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 9:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• God, it so needs to be done. I wish every school would start spanking again ! Kids would know what respect was. I think some parents need to be paddled with a board... specially the ones that count. That is so lazy.
    Anonymous

• It's no school's place to physically discipline MY child. if I were to choose to spank as punishment, that's MY place. Not anyone else's!

As far as I knew, it's now illegal to do that.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 9:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't spank, and if I found out ANYONE paddled my child, I would have a nice discussion with the principal and the superintendent, and then the next day my child would be off to Catholic school.

No way, no how.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with you Jynxx. I have spanked my children before in times where they put them selves in danger and needed to know how serious the offense was. But if my child's teacher hit him/her with their hand or a foreign object, I would probably do it right back.

And anon, thats not called repect, that is called fear. I do not want my children to fear and be degraded by their teachers,
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 9:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Where is this happennig? I am sorry but my children are well behaved and respectful and if I ever heard a school employee put a hand on one of them I would sue their asses off.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I will spank my son when it is necessary. But I do not feel it is anyone else's place to. I do think school's need to get tougher on their discipline policies because obviously the ones in place now aren't very effective, but to return to paddling is not realistic or acceptable in today's society. If my son acts up in class, by all means, discipline him with time outs, sending to the principal, detentions, what have you, but lay a finger on him and there's gonna be trouble.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would never abuse my child. And if anyone every tried to abuse them, use a weapon on them, they better buy a wheel chair because they won't be walking anywhere ever again.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• FYI- there are 15 states that still allow corporal punishment in schools. I would think that they would need a signed permission slip to paddle a child and they would NOT get it from me. Paddling a child doesn't teach respect it teaches fear.

To the parent that said if her child was paddled she would put her child in Catholic school: I didn't put my son in a Catholic school because they required my to sign a slip allowing them to paddle my child. I laughed and walked out the door. That was after I told the principal that I would not pay $3000 to a private school for a better and safer environment that would paddle my child but would turn me in to CPS if I did the same thing.

Children need to be taught respect by their parents and the parents need to lead by example. No bashing teachers in front of the child goes a long way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Schools have a code of conduct that every student and parent must sign at the beginning of the year. It explains offenses, their levels, and their punishments. The school has to go with something the majority of parents will accept. Spanking is a hot issue that many can't agree on, so the school can't decide it for them. As a non spanker, I'd be damned if someone spanked my kids. I don't see it as proper discipline. It doesn't teach respect. Either way, that's the parent's never ending job. They should have a level of respect by the time they get to pre-k and the parents are supposed to continue that lesson. It's not the schoool's place or job to teach them that too. I'd never allow my child in a school allowing physical punishment.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• agree with 1st poster
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009