social security & bi-polar disorder

I have had bi-polar 4 a few years. I have had a hard time keepn jobs. My attitude gets in the way and i tend to call in due to my disorder. I am not confident explainin to my boss that i cant come in cause im havn a bad day. I have thought @ tryin to get social security. I just dont know what my chances are or how much of a fight i will have.

crazymomma4200

Asked by crazymomma4200 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• Ohhhh it will be a fight. I am on it for the reason of bi polar, and was taken off work in 2001 due to inability to cope, and meds not working (they make me a zombie). It took 5 yrs of fighting and many doctors appts.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have bipolar disorder. I work. I understand some days are really bad days... I've been off medication for over 6 months, but still attend weekly counseling to help me cope. I think the key is to find a job that you would really enjoy and where you mostly work on your own. I love photography, so I work in a photo lab. Other than customers dropping off/picking up orders, I'm basically alone, doing what I enjoy.
    Anonymous

• My friends daughter has Bipolar and is on SSI, not sure how hard it was for her to get it for her daughter though. You would have to talk to someone at Social Security and find out what you need to do. They would be the ones who would know. I would think each case is taken separately and it could take years for it to be approved or it could take months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my husband has schizo effective disorder, which is schizophrenia and bipolar and he works fine with his meds being regulated
    but he can get ssi if needed
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 2:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2009