Am I wrong for not having my baby circumcised?

My son stayed in the NICU for two weeks, having to be poked and prodded everyday all day long. They wouldn't circumcise him while he was in the other hospital so when he came home, he made an appt. for the procedure. Well, I ended up backing out of it because I didn't want to add any more stress to an already stressed baby, but now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision because I'm worried that the decision I made will forever affect his sex life and that bothers me. Do you think he'll resent us for making that decision??

shiasmommy41209

Asked by shiasmommy41209 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• His sex life will be most likely be BETTER for not being circ'd. And it's becoming more common to not be circ'd so everyone, including girl's won't be so put off by it either.
    My son isn't circ'd and I am 100% sure it was the right choice
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No he will probably thank you
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 9:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't think there is a right && wrong when it comes to circumcision. If he hates it when he gets older he can always have the surgery then.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to circumsizing. Either you choose to do it or you don't. There are not really any significant advantages or disadvantages to either choice. Personally as a woman, I find uncircumsized penises to be very unattractive and somewhat gross. However, not everyone feels the way I do, and some people even feel the opposite. It is really a personal choice. If it bothers him later on in life, he can always choose to have it done.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My nephew isn't circumcised, my son is though. I don't think it matters either way, just teach him how to clean it, and you can also have it done in a couple of days if you want to. If you change your mind, don't wait too long, or you may have to wait until he's older and it becomes his decision. Talk to your hubby and Dr. You'll know what's right for your little man :)
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 9:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with HisMommy on there is no right or wrong answer here, just your decision. The circum. process only takes about 15 minutes and he will forget about it less than a minute after you comfort him. My son cried for only 1 minute and then he was fine.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The foreskin has as many nerve endings as the lip. Having foreskin allows for more sensation. So while I would never critisize someone for choosing to have it done, you are doing him no disservice at all by not having it done. Besides, the best lover I've ever had (my husband) is not cut, and he has often said he is glad he was not.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my opinion is that its their bodies, let them make the decision when they are old enough. My boys aren't circumcised. There are many benefits on the foreskin and no medical benefits to circumcise, so it was a no brainer for me. check out mothers against circumcision and there is a lot of info. There are also some groups on cafemom for boys who are left intact/not circumcised, who have lots of info as well.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2009