Help! My newly 3 yr old won't potty train - ugh!

My first child, it was hard, but ultimately, the temptation of underpants, an active timer, going naked for a little while, and bribing with hershey's kisses or M&Ms worked, and he learned just shy of his third birthday.

My second son, forget it. He goes naked - yeah he just goes. We tried underpants - he pees on 'em. I set the timer, he goes on the potty, gets his m&M, yea! And then pees in his pants 10 min later. I'm so frustrated and it's easier to just leave him in pullups at this point. What should I do? His ped had no suggestions whatsoever.

HybridMom27

Asked by HybridMom27 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• our son is 3 1/2 and has only been potty trained for about 3 months. I too was worried he would never join the 'big' boy group( meaning getting out of diapers) but one day after his nap.. I suggested we go 'potty' in the big potty .. he said 'ok' and that was it! I was worried about it being a very long and drawn out process .. NOW we still have accidents and still sleep in diapers but we are at least going during the day. He loves going outside( which I don't mind but my husband hates that)... our doctor keep telling me 'when Beau is ready to change, he will do so' and you know.. the doctor was right! I guess we as parents need to practice patience and let the little guys have the control here( this one time) ... good luck to you and it will soon work out for the best! Try not to get frustrated because as the saying goes 'Each child is different' .... take care
    choconut08

Answer by choconut08 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Maybe he's just not ready. Every child is different. Don't let it get frustrating for you or your child. Just wait a bit, he'll let you know when he's ready. Oh and you also shouldn't bribe them with candy. Try something more creative- like a sticker chart or something like that =)
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 10:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Not ready? He's 3!! I'm ready! and in three months, he'll be in nursery school, so he's got to have it down by now. I'm really tired of it but it seems the more I back off, the more comfy he gets in those pullups.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Lol.. you cracked me up with that one. He'll be ready soon- just give the poor kid some time =)
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 10:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• This is a battle you won't win if your child just isn't ready. Think about it you can't force him to pee. You can nag and battle till your ready to pull your hair out and on here looking for tips but when it comes down to it if your son isn't ready its not going to happen. He's not going to be 5 and still in diapers or pull ups unless there's a serious medical problem out of his control. He will potty train at some point. So back off, take a deep breathe, offer encouraging words when he does go about what a big boy he is, and seriously try potty training in another month or so. If you have 3 months before school starts he doesn't have to be trained now, its just your desire.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2009