Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has your child ever swallowed a coin?

what happened with that?

Answer Question

Asked by MHaney1980 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Yup mine swallowed a penny. When he swallowed it it turned sideways and got stuck. He was having trouble breathing and keeping liquids down. H had to have surgery to remove it from his throat.

    Answer by AlsGirl at 9:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • My child hasn't but I did when I was 5, the same age as my daughter now yikes. When I was 5 for some unknow reason I liked to suck on coins, I was weird. No one knew it until I was sucking on a quarter 1 night and I swallowed it and started to choke. I can remember the feeling of not being able to breath, it was scary. Thankfully my sister and I shared a room she was 8 years older and realized I couldn't breath and started screaming. My daddy gave me the hemlich manuver and the quarter came flying out and I was fine. Except it hurt. I don't know if anyone has ever had the hemlich manuver but it really hurts. I got mad at my daddy for hurting me, but he saved my life.

    Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • LOL, when I was a kid, my BFF swallowed a quarter...It just came out when she pooped. Her parents were pissed tho.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • Mine hasn't, but I know many kids that have. If the child is breathing normally, don't will come out. Check BM's for a few days and you may see it. If your child has trouble breathing, take to ER right away. Watch for things inserted in the nose and ears too. My son shoved pebbles up his nose, it was interesting visit to the ER because the doc came in and seen the pebbles in his nose, left to get the nose removal tools and came back...the pebbles were gone!!!! Doc said he must have inhaled and they went down his stomach.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • I swallowed a penny when I was about 4. It just came out the next day, I think my dad noticed it and was surprised, lol!

    Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 10:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • 5 year old son swallowed a nickel last March. Took him to the ER (because he told me he thought it was still in his throat) and they took an xray. It was already down into his stomach. I never did see it come out though, lol!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • are you kidding me? 3 of mine have! its so weird! i try to keep them out of reach, but luckily none have been swallowed in about 5 years. with all of them, it was swallow, digest, poop. they were fine, i was lucky!

    Answer by brentlymom at 1:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • my friennds brother did when he was about 9 yrs old playing around throwing it up in the air and catching it in their mouth. It came out the next day when he had to go to the bathroom. I think he was more surprised then hurt. luckly he had no trouble breathing .

    Answer by incarnita at 8:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

  • She swallowed a quarter. I was really worried it might still be lodged in her throat somewhere so I went ahead and took her in for X-rays. It was definitely in her stomach. So I took her home and fed her lots of prunes and raisins to help push it out. Came out about 3 days later in her diaper.

    Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.