In love.

my daughter is 14 and claims she is in love with her boyfriend. she always needs to be with him and thinks no one else loves her. they plan on being together forever and everything! is this normal for teenagers? can these two really be serious at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• How does a 14 really have the maturity to know what love is? At her age she is in lust or like. I suggest having her on BC or you will be a grandmother soon. And it's not good for her to want to be with him all the time.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yes, its normal... its called infatuation (did I spell that right). I don't have a teen but I remember that. I got engaged at 14 yrs old, lol! Who knows, she may be with him for the rest of her life, but it is rare. I think this would be a good time to discuss with her what love it.... unconditional love. Its not just butterflies in your tummy, because that doesn't last forever. Its more, its loving and caring for someone even if you at the time may not like them, lol. kwim?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• are you serious she is a child!
    Anonymous

• you know how hormones are. when i was 14, i was 'in love'. for 3 years, actually. but ow, i look back on it and see it wasnt love like we think of it now, as adults. its more like friendship mixed with infatuation.
    if she's seeming obsessed, though, be on the look out. im sure you know this already, but kids have sex so early now...
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• btw I disagree. I don't think a 14 year old, or any teen for that matter should be on birth control... I personally would not let mine. I don't think they should be having sex at that age, personall I will teach my children abstinance before marriage, but when they are old enough to support themselves they can make that decision on their own.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• honestly I met my husband when I was 14 and I've been in love ever since.. but that doesn't happen very often. My advice would be to see how this whole thing plans out, my guess is that it won't last too long and if you are uncomfortable about their time spent together, limit it.
    shiasmommy41209

Answer by shiasmommy41209 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I thought i was in love with my boyfriend when i was that age. Its normal and a phase. I wouldnt worry about it to much. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she dosnt do anything sexual with him. Thats when things will start to get out of hand. But keep an open relationship with her so shes willing to tell you whats going on. If you make her afraid to talk to you about it then she wont do it and she will do things behind your back.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• 14 is still too young for sex though... we waited for two years

shiasmommy41209

Answer by shiasmommy41209 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• aww I think thats sweet...if "in love" means she thinks about him every second then she probably is. I was in love at 16 and I know it was love because I suffered the broken heart. I would consider birth control...lets be realistic. If she feels so strongly for him its the natural course of things.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It's normal, yes. She will get over it at some point. One day, she'll look back and laugh at her own stupidity.
    Anonymous