For hard polytheists who follow a Celtic and Norse tradition...

How do the two paths work in your practice? Are you Asatru, but also honor the Celtic gods; 0r Celtic Recon, but also honor the Aesir and Vanir? Or are they more intertwined for you - in what ways? How did you find a balance? I realize that there are several similarities, and that in the longview, both the Celts and the Germanic/Norse are descended from the same Proto Indo European people.... and I know it's very simple, and 5 years from now I'll know that. Right now I feel muddled and in need of clarity and practical advice. :-)

This is a pretty path-specific question, so if you are not a hard polytheist, your answers will probably not be relevant to the question. Naturally, those who are polytheist who do follow two paths - even if they're not the ones I'm discussing - your experience may be interesting to me!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 10:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL When I first saw this question it was way too early in the morn for me to tackle and it's had me thinking about it sense. Not even sure if I'm one who should answer it, so I'll let you decide.

I am a hard polytheists but I follow Hellenic and Other Gods. This is what keeps me under the Eclectic Pagan label instead of straight Hellenic and also helps keeps me from being a Recon. I don't see it as two different paths but as my own path. Those Gods that are not Hellenic are there because they have touched me in some way, either by heritage or by my own admiration for them. I do keep their worship separate as they each have different requirements. Don't know if that answered it or confused it even more.

As to converting to a better theology, why should I interfere with who the Gods call as their own?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• BTW, I'm not sure if I was clear so I wanted to add that I'm not asking which path is "right'... just that if both paths are right *for me,* how does that look for others of a similar belief.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Well I'm not two, and part of the reason is I'm not comfortable with how much of the Celtic and Anglo traditions are missing (and I'll skip going into WHY it's missing). But with that said, I know several people who practice one of the two and use the Germanic to fill in those gaps, so in a way, they are already combining the two, just not calling it a dual path. It was the most confusing thing when I would read more Celtic because of those cross overs, but now that I "see" it all, it makes sense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I guess I was way too specific in who I wanted to answer this question... not too many hard polytheists kicking around LOL

No one even wanted to convert me to their better, truer, righter theology.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009