break up time

is it wrong for me to tell my daughter she needs to break up with her boyfriend??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It depends. What is your reasoning for wanting to tell her this?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i read a text message from her boyfriend that said, "i cant wait to titty fuck you"
    i asked her about it, and she said it was a joke
    Anonymous

• its all on y ur asking her to do it....if its cus u dont feel comfortable than its wrong u should talktot her about being in love rather than break up wit him but if its cus age or bad habbits then no ur absolutly right
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• as long as she's under your roof, she dates who you tell her to. she has no decision making about that until she is full grown, and on her own. as for what the boy said, yeah, i would NOT let my daughter EVER go near him. EVER again
    you do whatever you have to do to protect your baby from any situation like that,
    best wishes,
    Lynda
    brentlymom

Answer by brentlymom at 12:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Ok so that's gross and degrading but honestly I think if you make them brake up she may begin sneaking around behind your back. I've been there with my mom telling me not to date a guy and it only made me like him more, I guess kind of like a Romeo and Juliet feeling. Any ways just thank god that they probably aren't having sex (I mean vaginal) because they probably would just skip the titty fuck thing. Anyways I would just talk to your daughter and tell her how how you feel and how you think she should slow down or whatever.Ground her and tell her if she wants to keep dating him then they both need to write an apology letter. If he comes over then just tell her he isn't allowed in her room with the door shut till she earns more trust. By the way how old is she?
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If she is like 16 or 17 then it's inevitable that she may begin experimenting with her boyfriend and though you may not approve I think it's best to make sure you and her have an honest open relationship, kids seem to get in more trouble when the are keeping every thing from their parents.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would definitely stress that whether or not it's a joke, that is NOT the way to talk to anyone. They are obviously very immature (or he is anyway~ and isn't that typical of most boys). I've seen some texts from my 14 year old dds "bf" about getting laid in online games, and links to restricted you tube videos, and my dd just brushes it off where as I feel it is degrading and have told her she needs to have some boundaries~use her brain! How old are they?
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• "i read a text message from her boyfriend that said, "i cant wait to titty fuck you"
    i asked her about it, and she said it was a joke "

I would never let my daughter date someone who talked to her like that. And don't get me started on the texting/IM increase of sexuality in young teens.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree with dflygirl7 (again!). She may be having sex, and I think that is a different issue to deal with. In any case, that just is not a way to talk. She's living in your house and as you did, you may see it (i.e. sex talk, at an appropriate age, is one thing.. but you can't plaster it all over the front page!.

How old are they, how mature are they,and how long have they been in a relationship? It is easier said then done to just 'tell her to break up with her boyfriend". She probably won't and you will be in for a long painful battle that will probably wind up with rebellion and sneaking around - think twice before you do it. I'd start by discussing your views on relationships & sex, respect, risks of technology (i.e text & photos!) and see if she 'admits' to being wrong to put up with such comments from any guy!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes! It will only make her want him more, and may lead to her sneaking around.
    Invite him over for dinner. Treat him like your long lost son. Be his best buddy. She may come to see that he is not as wonderful as she thinks. You may come to see that he is just an immature boy (sorry, redundant).
    Be sure that she is well educated on birth control and prevention of STDs; get her to a health care practioner for testing and a discussion of birth control options. Have the banana and condom talk.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009