If you get skin cancer,what happens to you?

I have a big mole near the side of my stomach,it has gotten bigger through the years.Does this sound like melanoma?Anyways what will happen if I have that too?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 10:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• you NEED to go have it checked out, removed, and looked at!!!!
    if a small area that can be removed great, but skin cancer is CANCER it is potentially fatal
    Anonymous

• Just my regular doctor or someone who specializes in skin?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 10:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You won't know if you have cancer unless that mole is sent to the lab. They will take it out and try to get every little part of it by making clear margins. They will know from the report if they have clear margins and it has all been removed. If it is cancerous they will do further testing to see if it has spread. It's very likely it is not cance and/or it has not spread. If it has, you will see a cancer doctor to discuss treatment like radiation and chemo therapy. I hate even telling you this because the unknown is often what is scariest and to fear what may never happen isn't very healthy or helpful. I hope you will make an appointment first thing in the morning. I had something checked once and it wasn't actually a mole. I am not doubting you, just saying that what we fear is often never going to happen.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The mole is round a dark brown and it's crusty,bumpy flat on top.When I touch it it's not really smooth, it's bigger than a pencil erraser around that size.I read that melonoma's moles are red,oozing,some dark brown.What do skin cancer ones look like?And when they spread,does that mean they are getting bigger or growing new ones around that area?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• They're usually not symmetrical if that helps any. I would do some research online and go talk to your docor. I had a mole removed from my back and sent to a lab by my regular physician.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• when looking at skin cancer...you look at

A- Asymmetry
    B- Irregular Borders
    C- Color changes
    D- Diameter....

You need to have it checked out by a dermatologist.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• From what you described it is best t just go see a dermatologist!!! Check the ABC's of skin cancer...I wish you luck! 

A. Asymmetry-One half of the spot does not match the other half.

B. Border irregularity-Normal moles are round or oval. The borders of a melanoma may be uneven or notched.

C. Color-Common moles are usually one color throughout. Melanomas may have several colors or an irregular pattern of colors.

D. Diameter-Common moles are generally less than 1/4 inch in diameter (the diameter of a pencil eraser). Melanomas may be 1/8 to 1/4 inch, but are often larger.

Kalisha

http://blog.uvskinz.com

kalisha14

Answer by kalisha14 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I forgot one thing! If you want to read about one Mother's story of skin cancer check out this post. She got it on her arm and it spread to her lymph nodes--there are pics too...http://blog.uvskinz.com/2009/05/15/clares-clique-interview-and-story/
    kalisha14

Answer by kalisha14 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009