long-stemmed roses

We have a long-stemmed rose that was given to my daughter. I placed it in a vase with some water. I did not re-cut the bottom before I did this. Well, the flower is now dried up, but I still have the rose in the vase with water. It has 2 places on the stem where new growth is happening! No roots that I can see, just these two places of new growth. Do you think I could somehow plant this outside? Would it ever take root and become a new plant? I don't understand how this works, if it even would work. With no roots....

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 10:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Hell, try it! Keep water in the vase for a while longer, to see what it does. I haven't heard of this happening before, but then again, I have an onion that I planted in my yard. I forgot I had it until I saw these long green things growing out of it. I planted it, it's growing, and has a flower on top. I don't know what's gonna come of it, but it's interesting to see. Maybe the rose will grow into a plant. How neat is that!!??
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009