Teething or Actual Illness?

About 3 weeks ago, I took my son to the doctor for runnig a fever and they put him on antibiotics for 10 days. Well, he stopped taking them the 29th and yesterday he started running fever again. But he has been messing with his mouth a lot and has a runny nose (he also had it 3 weeks ago and never got rid of it) and today he had sorta upset tummy diapers. He is going to the doctor in the morning, but do you think it is just his teeth this time or an actual illness?

wyattsmommy626

Asked by wyattsmommy626 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anything under 102 is low grade.

It may be simple teething. Since his fever is pretty low and he isn't acting sick, I wouldn't worry about it either way. If it's teething - it will go away eventually. If it's a viral infection - it will go away eventually and the fever will make it go away faster.

If the doctor wants to put him on antibiotics again, ask exactly what bacterial infection the doctor thinks he has. Many times (sadly) doctors give antibiotics just to shut the parent up and get you out of the office. If they don't test, don't culture, and are just guessing, consider asking him to "guess again".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• is it a low grade fever? if yes probably teeth high grade probably something else

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It is around 101 most of the time...sometimes higher.
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son always has a runny nose and spikes a fever about 102 when he has teeth coming through. i give him homeopathic teething tablets and motrin before bedtime and naptime. It seems to help him. If the motrin does not bring the fever down you can alternate the motrin with tylenol every 4 hours. If after 8 hours baby is still running a fever, I would make a office visit again. Teething can cause upset tummies and messy diapers. Sticking to soft bland foods for a few days (rice, breads, pasta, bananas, etc.) can help stabilize the diarrhea by keeping their bellies working. Popscicles or cold foods like ice cream or yogurt helps numb the gums while teething too. Hope this helps,
    mamahill0902

Answer by mamahill0902 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The ab's probably gave him the runny diapers. That sounds like a virus. Give him 48 hrs to see if it passes then take him back in. I very reluctantly ever put my kids on ab's unless there is clear evidence of an infection. Like green snot or ear pain.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2009