How involved is your hubby/SO in taking care of the kids when he is not working?

Does he jump in when needed? Take on certain roles? Wait to be asked/invited to help out?

Just wondering if my expectations are too high here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Do you mean not working as in unemployed or not working as in it's his day off??
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My hubby is pretty good. Their are somethings I would like him to do that he doesn't. He always takes him outside to play when he gets home from work though. ALWAYS. We also try to trade out on bath nights. So we get every other day. He has not been doing as good in this department. If he is off work though, he keeps him home from daycare every time! I never do....if I get a day off, I take my son to daycare normally so I can catch up on things.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Thanks for helping me clarify. I meant, when he is not at work, as in his day off or in the evenings after work. :)
    Anonymous

• it doesnt matter whether hes working or not, if hes home, he helps. i dont have to ask him, he just does it. he doesnt sit on his ass, or bitch and complain about how he works, so i should take care of the kids whenever he gets home. its a team effort. and HE LOVES IT. i couldnt have picked a better man.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• He helps out but sometimes needs to be asked/told to do it. He tends to doze off in the chair otherwise! As I have to clean up supper that I just made and so on. Other times he just sits on the floor and plays with her or whatever needs to be done. The only time I get pissed is when I've been doing it all day putting in just as long of a day as him if not longer and he falls asleep at 7pm til 10 then gets up and goes to bed!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• When my hubby is working, he usually wants to spend a few minutes to himself tright when he gets home, but after that he entertains the kids so I can get dinner ready or whatever else we have going on. He helps with bedtime routines, homework, he is the one that gets up and takes them to school, we have a younger daughter too and he has to be at work 30 minutes affter the boys school starts so he gets them up and ready and out the door for me so we dont have to get her out. He got laid off 2 weeks go, and has been so good about picking up more chores around the house and the yard since he is off work. his line of work applications are mostly done online so unless he has an interview he is home and playing with the kids.
    Anonymous

• My husband is a full partner in childrearing and house work. He has always been, working or not. If he is home he just jumps in.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• He does it ALL! makes lunch, walks our son to school, takes him to appointments...whatever needs doing, he does.

Except picking up around the house. But that's nothing new.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh...didn't read your second part....but my answer still applies. If I'm not home (and that's most of the time because I work seven days), DH is the man. He handles everything.

At the moment, DH is unemployed so he's dealing with ALL matters.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• he only jumps up when I start screaming at the top of my lungs, ready to have an anyerism.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2009