What is Satanism? (PIOG)

My husband recently started to go to church and has been asking me about what different beliefs entail (he didn't realise how many there were lol). We got to Satanism and I said "all I know is that they don't worship Satan."

Can someone fill me in so I can tell him?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 11:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are atheistic Satanists and theistic Satanists. The majority are atheistic though. Neither is evil. We pretty much have the same ideologies, it's just that one believes in a deity and one doesn't. (The ones who sacrifice babies/animals/people and commit terrible crimes and rituals are NOT Satanists....they're psychos who only want attention or think they are worshiping the Christian version of the devil.)

Satanism is pretty much an un-religion. We don't believe you should worship anything but yourself and your family. You shouldn't have to give up anything that brings you pleasure for your religion and you should not have to feel guilty about it. Live life to the fullest now instead of worrying about after you die. Use your own logic and knowledge to form your own morals and beliefs. Atheistic Satanists use Satan as a symbol for our carnal nature, which some religions like to suppress.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Some satanists do worship Satan. That is traditional satanism. I used to be apart of this group.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• ok.....satanism is not about devil worship...it is not about a diety..it is about self empowerment to really sum it up.....self awareness, self power...self fulfillment, abstinence fom nothing, in other words if you want it, take it.

devil worship is a whole other sect
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• to a satanist...you really awaken your inner animal...your inner beast.....you are powerful, you can do whatever you want, you are unstoppable, you are your own god
    moki1984

• I didn't realise there was such diversity!

Does Satanism fall under Paganism? How does it differ from the other pagan groups? What different sects are they and do they consider themselves to be related or do they just happen to use the "Satanism" in their group title? How is Satanism different from Humanistic Atheism? How does one come about being their own god?

I guess I have a lot of questions lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I recommend you read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Occult-Dr-Walter-Martin/dp/1418516449
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No, Satanism does not fall under Paganism. Paganism is an umbrella term which encompasses nature based religions, not being your own god.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 2:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• And not all satanists even believe there is a deity out there called satan. Some of them feel that good and evil comes from inside us all, WE decide how to live our lives and we decide what is done and not done. Their are some occultists who use the term satanist because they worship the "devil," but they are not the only satanists. The only reason they get all the credit is because they are the more vocal and outrageous.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• MOST Satanists are Atheists. There are those that worship the "devil" and practice dark magic - I guess that type could fall under the category of Pagan. But for the most part, a Satanist is an Atheist that follows the teachings of Anton LeVey.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• There is a group here on CM called Satanism in Depth(Im pretty sure thats the name of it) and it has lots of good info about Satanism and the various paths within it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009