Is it sexual harrassment and what to do?

I'm an aunt to a 13 year old who was recently "pantsed" (or depantsed), and of course we've all heard of kids doing this througout history as a goofy kid prank. These students also removed his underwear, too, in a classroom in front of others. The teacher and principal so far have done absolutely nothing and my sister has been following up with no result. I think the removal and exposure w/out underwear is taking it all a step further than doing it with underwear...making it more of a sexual harrasment/violation ...is that an overeaction? How would you feel and what actions would you take (if any) if this was done to your own child? I can't imagine how humilated he must feel...and I hate thinking this kind of behavior will just continue w/ these awful kids (and staff). Making a kid naked in school just does not fly with me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would put that school in a huge mess of trouble and the other kid's parents. That is so far past a harmless prank. There was no reason for that and that in my opinion is sexual harassment. I would be furious. I'd also have a talk with your nephew or at least get somebody to so that it's clear how he feels. But these kids should not get away with this. If they do imagine what they'll think of next.
    ________________

I totally agree with this post....Also about talking to your nephew. Ask him how he feels about bringing justice. Though its not right...he might just want to drop the whole thing to avoid further humiliation. I agree though...this was WAY over the line.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• hell no, get a lawyer and press charges.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• oh man pansing is funny but wen u take the underwere down thts not kool??? i think the princple should atleast talk to the the 1s tht did this like my friend pansed a gurl in like 3rd grade(my friends a guy)he was suspended aamidiatly cus they thot he was being sexual or sumthin but yes sumthin should b done
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Oh....that is awful. I'd be furious BUT, further humiliation could actually be worse by dredging this through legal proceedings or making a spectacle of it. It's a very sticky situation. I would want to drag those kids across the coals myself but if it made life worse for my son, I might just drop it....Talk to your nephew to see how he feels about busting that group of kids. No matter what, I'd write a letter to the District head, principal and cc: the teacher.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• press charges on the kids and the school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• definitely sexual harassment i would get the police involved and call your local news on the school maybe then they will take things like this seriously in the future
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 6:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Request a face to face meeting: parents, principal, school counselor. Ask what the policy is on one student forcibly removing another student's clothing. Tell the principal what you want, ie: the kids that did it get suspended or expelled. Tell them you want it taken seriously or you are going to the school board and/or the police. It is NOT funny and anyone who thinks it is, needs to stop and think how they would feel if it happened to them or their kids.

As a mom whose kid was recently punished for busting the dress code by wearing mid-thigh shorts, I am scratching my head over this one.

Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 6:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh no it would be ON! I would get me the best lawyer and sue the pants off that school. That is not acceptable at all! She needs to press charges and even go after the school board for letting this happen I would take it as far As I could so this doesn't happen to another child
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 7:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I recommend that you contact the administration directly, but not push legal charges as that might humiliate him further. But do something, because I kept quiet when the same exact thing (complete de-pantsing) happened to me in high schoo, and because there were never any consequences to the boys doing it, it ended up happening 3 more times. Not good.
    krnrobey71

Answer by krnrobey71 at 7:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009