starting real food:

My DD is 4 1/2 months old and I wanted to wait to start food for awhile but lately she's been eating 5 or 6 oz and get's hungry like every 2 hours. She's always been a fatty but not this much! I feel like she needs to start eating cereal so it will fill her up, but idk? and If I do how do I go about doing it?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 11:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some children start wanting to eat a teaspoon to a tablespoon about the age of your little one. You could give her a little, very little cereal mixed in with breast milk or formula to see if she will eat it and like it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I started my son early on solids because he was nursing soo often that I thought he needed something else also. I started mixing a tablespoon of single grain cereal with breast milk and made it fairly runny, and thickened it as he got better at eating it. If you are not nursing you can mix it with water or formula. Just be sure that your baby is ready for solids first. Can she sit with support, does she hold her head up well, has she developed the reflex to push the food to the back of her throat to swallow it or does she still try to spit it out. If she is ready, I would say go ahead and start her of food.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• four months is when i started giving her cereal.-- maybe she was 5. Is she breastfed or formula? I started with earth's best and it has the directions on it. Just mix a little bit with formula/or breastmilk and make sure its pretty watery at first. It should have directions on it. She'll probably love it- my daughter did. The poop is going to change! Because the more often you feed her, the thicker it should get. Not really thick at first just gradually thicker... if that makes sense. Have fun!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I started both of my son's on plain rice cereal around 4 1/2 months because they were just drinking more and more and not getting full, the dr said it would be fine and they did fine too :) it actually helped them sleep longer too because ther bellys were fuller :) I mixed it with some breastmilk so that it was a little runny at first and when they got used to it I started adding more cereal
    ccpniowa2007

Answer by ccpniowa2007 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It won't hurt to try. But just from experience I tried to start my son on rice cereal at about 4 months because he was so hungry and it didn't help one bit lol. I'm thinking he was just going through a growth spurt. But you can always try :0) Good luck!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• is rice cereal ok or should I get something else? She is mostly formula so I can just mix a tablespoon of cereal with how much formula? how many bites do they eat and do you feed it to them everytime they eat? sorry im all nervous about it!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• you can go on gerber.com and register. they will give you feeding tips and coupons like crazy in the mail every month. They even give sample menus of different ages. SERIOUSLY register. also at huggies.com and pampers.com. This is my third baby and I love reading all the feeding guides and helps me out a lot!! GOOD LUCK!! I get it mailed directly to my house. I get free food coupons to
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I started my now 6 month old on baby cereal at 2 months old, (by doctors request), she was eating 6 ozs every hour so she suggested doing a 4 oz bottle and 1 oz of food, well it worked, she went to eating 5 ozs of formula ever 2.5 hours, and now at 6 months old she dosent eat baby food, she self feeds what we eat and has 3-4 bottles a day 5ozs ped says she is doing great, she is even a little lower in the weight percentiles but she is hitting her milestones,so no worries

Mix about 1 oz of cereal with .5 oz of formula give a bit, if she likes it give it to her untill she stops eaing it and then try a bottle on top of that and see what she drinks from that, dont be worried if she dosent drink much form, she may be full, i would do it in the morn and at night to start off and go from there!!!
    I hope it helps!!!

MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 12:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i started my now 2 month old on rice cereal at 5 weeks! i spoon feed her too.. she takes it very well. just last week i started mixing 1 baby teaspoon of pears stage 1 in her cereal and she loves it. i give her 1 oz. of cereal btw.. but yeah start off with just the cereal first because you have to make sure her body can handle just that alone first, and if she can you can start mixing fruits/veggies in with it or give it to her separate.
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 12:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• ...Cereal at 5 weeks..?

.......
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 1:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009