How did you tell the grandparents to be? (Complicated)

My bf's father is Italian, straight from Italy!! He doesnt read English and hes not good at reading at all. We are both very nervous to just come out and tell him and are thinking of ways(we thought about cards and such) but the fact that he cant read makes it all the more complicated. We bought him a tee shirt that says "grandpa is awesomeness" in hopes that he'll be able to know how to read grandpa, and are planning on giving it to him as a fathers day gift but I wanted something more unique... Any Ideas???

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 11:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• get him an empty baby picture frame and have your bf tell him in italian (i'm guessing he can speak it since he has to communicate w/him somehow) that it is for his grandchild's first picture.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Have a shirt custom made at the mall! Does your bf know Italian? Just have the translation written out to Italian and have that printed onto a shirt. It's not all that expensive.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• maybe in the card you can write "we are pregnant" in Italian. Just a suggestion.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yup, you can order custom shirts from several places online, too.

Sort of OT, but you should TOTALLY order a onesie while you're at it that reads "Made in America... with Italian parts" He'll get a kick out of that, for sure!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oops... Great suggestions, I failed to mention hes not so good reading in his own language either. He came from italy when he was 16 and worked ever since. Hes 70 now so his reading and writing skills are shot. Thanks for the advice guys :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh and love the idea, Laura!!
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Have you had an ultrasound yet?
    You could make him a card with the picture of the ultrasound on the front?

Or....
    get printer paper from a craft store that you can iron onto a shirt and so you can iron on the ultrasound on a shirt
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 12:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Nope no ultrasound yet, Just 4 pregnancy tests lol... I know, like I said complicated... Ooohh you just gave me an idea though, I did take pics of the tests so maybe a copy of that in a card??? I dunno :/ lol
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Wonderful!!! Thanks so much!! Going on Ebay now to see which I can find! I love it!! Thanks!!!!
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2009