Has your doctor ever made something seem more serious than it is?

I had my 15th week blood test a few weeks ago, the one that tests for things like Downs Syndrome & other complications. Well, this evening I receive a call from my doctor's office saying that my doctor wants me to schedule an immediate appointment to discuss my test results, preferably first thing in the morning. I know it's bad to stress especially while pregnant, but all of a sudden I'm freaking out about this! None of my other results needed immediate appointments (usually I'd just keep my usual appointment) so this makes me feel somewhat on edge. Has your doctor ever said something to make you think it was more serious than it really was? This is my first pregnancy & I'm getting pretty worried...especially now...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• adding on to what the other ladies have said, remember that those tests have false positives all the time. so its entirely possible, that something raised a red flag in the test but it will all turn out alright. normally if you carry a gene for something like that the father of the child has to carry it too in order for anything to be wrong. good luck and just relax as much as possible between now and then. and when you go in and get told something, if its not what you want to hear, just remember that things could turn out differently
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I dont know about that test because i opted out of it. BUt at the very end of my pregnancy they told me that my DD was measuring small (5 lbs 4 oz) and made me come in for millions of tests and fetal monitoring.... Truthfully i think they knew nothing was wrong but did it for the money. I mean why in the LAST WEEK would she all of a sudden stop growing or become too small. I knew she was moving and i knew i was eating healthy..
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I know its hard not to stress it but you dont know what hes going to tell you exactly so dont think of one thing specifically, it could be anything. I hate when they stress the word "immediately", I've never had this issue before relating to pregnancy(im only 5 weeks and my 1st time) but I've had this happen with other things and it turned out to be nowhere near as serious as I took it. Good luck..
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I know it is hard not to stress but you have to think positive. Dont stress unless you have to. Please keep us informed on how you visit goes tomorrow!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• not while pregnant but I've had too experiences where they made me come in bc they "didn't want to tell me this over the phone" and it was dumb stuff. I thought it was something big like a tumor!! but it was nothing! i decided not to take the test bc my dr told me they get false negatives ALL THE TIME. He said even if it shows up something is wrong-it probably isn't. It just worries you for nothing. I know everything is scary in pregnancy but your baby can sense your scared, so until you know for sure don't stress!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Before my pregnancy my doctor would make everything seem like a huge deal. I was 20 at the time and I found a lump under my arm and because of my family history my doctor said she would order a STAT mammogram and ultrasound of the lump because she though I had cancer. Yes, she said that to me too.
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 1:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had my first ultrasound about a month ago at 21 weeks when I discovered I am having twins and one of the babies has systs on their brain and I'll need to go to a bigger hospital where they can do more screenings that will take about 3 hours. So of course I practically have a panic attack because I don't know anything about that and when someone says systs on the brain it sounds pretty serious.
    Well when I went in for the 2nd screening I met with a counselor who explained that it was spinal fluid build up and it generally goes away with further development the only reason they double check is because it could be linked to something more serious but if that were the case I would have many more complications. The 1st doctor failed to mention any of this.
    Sorry that's so long my point is everything will work out doctors sometimes lack social skills and forget that words like IMMEDIATELY send us into panic mode. Best Wishes!
    goldfish09

Answer by goldfish09 at 4:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2009