Is it bad to hold your baby all the time?

My daughter just turned 1 and she wants to be carried EVERYWHERE! I live with her great grandma and she held her day and night and now that she is getting bigger, grandma can't keep up and she wants me to hold her nonstop. I have a 2 1/2 yo also, so I can't pick her up without the other one wanting to be picked up. I don't want to be mean, but I don't want to hold them all day. Is that bad? Is it really that big of a deal or do they grow out of it? Thanks for reading this!

tiffalicious

Asked by tiffalicious at 12:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They eventually grow out of it, but you have to explain to them that you can't always hold them in order for them to understand.
    Mrs.Wasson

Answer by Mrs.Wasson at 12:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• They will grow out of it . ( too soon too. then you wonder "why don't they want me to hold them anymore" and will probley miss it . I did ) But I can understand the not carring them all the time anymore. Just do alot of talking and explaining to them that they are getting bigger and older.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree, they grow out of it, they just love their mama :) You can get a baby carrier for the 1 yo to make it easier. Or, if they both want you at the same time, jump in bed and cuddle :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't think so, but I personally can't do it. I don't even like carrying a purse. My son is always in his stroller or on Daddy's shoulders. But it's not wrong to hold your baby. She's your baby!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I heard before 6 months its ok to carry them all the time but after that its spoiling...I personnaly however dont believe thats entirely true I mean I guess to a point it is...I wouldnt carry them all the time but sometimes should be ok
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 1:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I wish my son wanted to be held. He doesn't like to cuddle or anything, he just wants to sit on the floor all day. He always checks to make sure I'm right there but he never wants up. He's only 9 months, I wish he would want me to hold him. I think you are lucky that your baby wants you.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Get a sling or asian baby carrier to make it easier ot carry the young one. It is not bad or wrong to carry them all the time if that is what they want. My daughter who just turned 2 loves to be held and carried most the time and if I can I do. She is just a snuggly kid unlike her older brother who never wanted to be held.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Nup, never bad! Babies need close contact with their parents and to be nurtured and cherish. Try a sling to see if that can work but if it is not sustainable then maybe you could try spending lots of time cuddling close (sitting down while reading or playing), then walking around the house holding hands or just together and explain that you cant carry them everywhere. This would be slower progression and less confronting. I would not expect the one year old to understand though and would be inclined to continue until she is ready to let go a bit more.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• that is why i absolutely threatened to beat my mother & grandma when they wanted to sit around and "rock" my son when he was little. i said i didn't have time to do it and i wasn't going to do it. i wasn't going to suffer and have to pace floors all night or carry him all day bc that's what they did when they were around him. especially at naptimes i would put him down in HIS bed and leave him alone. he would go right to sleep, no rocking or holding necessary. if he made a whimper they were running to him and i had to stop them. he's 2 1/2 now is the same way, don't rock me, don't try to hold me [unless it's mommy] when i want to go to sleep. i told them #2 would be treated the same way. it drives them crazy bc they say "babies are suppose to be rocked" yea umm not mine! i don't like it and I'M the one that has to deal with it when they aren't here. it makes it harder on me when people do that.
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's not bad at all. I wouldn't hold my son all the time, even when he was a newborn. I'd go nuts lol
    irishangel710

Answer by irishangel710 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009